AuthorTopic: Pixel.tools editor allows artists to pixel together on the same image/animation.  (Read 39795 times)

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile
There are two warnings:

Use of Mutation Events is deprecated. Use MutationObserver instead. jquery-1.10.2.js:4816
Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated.  Use defaultPrevented instead. jquery-1.10.2.js:5375

No errors are shown.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
Hm, difficult for me to debug as I don't have access to a linux machine, but I did a search to see if I could find any possible clues.
I found these two:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14486910/poor-canvas2d-performance-with-firefox-on-linux
http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/1251-just-a-tip-for-people-using-linux-and-firefox-and-experiencing-slow-getimagedata/
You may want to try changing that preference suggested on the second link to see if that gives you any different results..
If you try that, let me know if it does anything differently.

edit: I'd also be curious to know if using chrome for you has any difference.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:49:57 am by AlexHW »

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile
Hm, difficult for me to debug as I don't have access to a linux machine

Run it in a VM :crazy:
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
Added a new option under Edit menu; "Insert Clipart"
The image file you select will be pasted into your project. This is useful if you want to copy something from another image into your project.
Also, I fixed an issue with the selection outlines not showing after the selection was rotated.

Edit: added ability to zoom using the mousewheel.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:21:42 am by AlexHW »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile
Hm, difficult for me to debug as I don't have access to a linux machine, but I did a search to see if I could find any possible clues.
I found these two:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14486910/poor-canvas2d-performance-with-firefox-on-linux
http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/1251-just-a-tip-for-people-using-linux-and-firefox-and-experiencing-slow-getimagedata/
You may want to try changing that preference suggested on the second link to see if that gives you any different results..
If you try that, let me know if it does anything differently.

edit: I'd also be curious to know if using chrome for you has any difference.

Just tested with Chromium, that works okay. Strokes are noticably polygonal, but I don't know whether that's just the current state of the code or something specific to this system. Nothing is obviously broken on Chromium, anyway.

EDIT: the gfx.xrender.enabled setting has no noticable effect. I did notice one more data point, though: the thumbnail view is correctly updated when I paint, it is only the main canvas that fails to redraw.This becomes more obvious when I switch to a large brush.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:40:04 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Just tested with Chromium, that works okay. Strokes are noticably polygonal, but I don't know whether that's just the current state of the code or something specific to this system. Nothing is obviously broken on Chromium, anyway.

EDIT: the gfx.xrender.enabled setting has no noticable effect. I did notice one more data point, though: the thumbnail view is correctly updated when I paint, it is only the main canvas that fails to redraw.This becomes more obvious when I switch to a large brush.

Hm, that sounds odd. If the thumbnails are updating, then that would mean that the drawing operations are completing as normal. The problem must be happening somewhere in the main loop is my guess. If you open the secondary viewport by pressing the V key, and make sure its' dropdown choice is set to All, if you draw in the primary viewport does it get shown in the secondary viewport?..
Another thing I'm wondering about is if you try dragging the resize handle of the primary viewport so that the viewport is smaller, does that affect anything?
What if you set the dropdown options on primary and secondary to Frame, does that affect the drawing?..

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile
Hm, that sounds odd. If the thumbnails are updating, then that would mean that the drawing operations are completing as normal. The problem must be happening somewhere in the main loop is my guess. If you open the secondary viewport by pressing the V key, and make sure its' dropdown choice is set to All, if you draw in the primary viewport does it get shown in the secondary viewport?..
Yes, the secondary viewport updates normally at a speed comparable to chromium.
However, if I attempt to adjust the secondary viewport's zoom, it stops updating.

Another thing I'm wondering about is if you try dragging the resize handle of the primary viewport so that the viewport is smaller, does that affect anything?
Yes, it causes the canvas to be redrawn with the updated content, once I finish the drag.
It has no other side-effects (ie. this does not cause the canvas to begin updating normally)

What if you set the dropdown options on primary and secondary to Frame, does that affect the drawing?..
No.

Thanks for cooperating in debugging this.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
Okay, thanks for the details.
I tried swapping the order of the primary and secondary viewports.. I'm curious if that will make the primary canvas update like normal and the secondary not update normally, let me know if that's the case (you can also try dragging the resize handles smaller to see if that changes anything. If there's no differences, there might be some technical reason why firefox on arch linux is having difficulty refreshing the canvas.

btw, I've added a simple method to scan the project for used colors. Theres a new button next to colordex button. You can click the colors to eyedrop them.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 05:58:34 pm by AlexHW »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile
I tried swapping the order of the primary and secondary viewports.. I'm curious if that will make the primary canvas update like normal and the secondary not update normally, let me know if that's the case (you can also try dragging the resize handles smaller to see if that changes anything. If there's no differences, there might be some technical reason why firefox on arch linux is having difficulty refreshing the canvas.

btw, I've added a simple method to scan the project for used colors. Theres a new button next to colordex button. You can click the colors to eyedrop them.

HMM.
* The secondary canvas is still the one that shows updates.
* I've tried resizing to a variety of sizes. None of them have an effect, but I can report what is probably an unrelated bug -- when the main viewport becomes narrow enough, it is drawn as completely blank (ie. dark grey rather than checkerboard+some green pixels). Examining other cases, I suspect this means that the image is being displayed in an area that is off to the 'right' of the displayed canvas area, rather than forcing some of the image to be shown on canvas.

On an unrelated note, is the Colordex feature intended to support adding colors one by one, or only loading palettes? Because it does nothing when I click in it's main area, I'm not sure what was intended.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
okay buddy.. I've uploaded a version with a lot of stuff disabled. I want you to go to http://www.alexhw.com/pixeledit/ and try drawing in the primary viewport. Let me know if it works. If it doesn't I have some other things I can try disabling.. The secondary viewport is disabled also, so don't expect to see anything in that..

the colordex.. yea, you should be able to draw colors in it using the pencil/brush tool. then ctrl clicking the colors to setup up the brush tool. Theres a video in a previous post where i show how to use it.