AuthorTopic: clueless  (Read 2715 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

clueless

on: August 03, 2006, 04:03:01 am
im going to create a common situation:

bright-eyed young game desinger comes up with an idea.  feels he could make it work.  does a lot of design work.  starts putting a team together to work for free.  team slacks off, work stops, nothing ever comes of it.  the end.

now, heres a slightly different version....with the same ending:

bright-eyed young game desinger comes up with an idea.  feels he could make it work.  does a lot of design work.  starts putting a team together for what will 'be sold one day far away'.  team never finds a way to actually produce the game even though they have the motivation to build it.  work stops, nothing ever comes of it.  the end.

my question is, how would a regular guy go about publishing a game?  its a simple question, but i dont actually know.  i would assume that the team that worked on the game would put as much as they could together, and then pitch the idea to a publisher?  how would one get a publisher's attention?  and what then?

this is very noobish of me i know, but i figured id ask the group since there are a lot of experienced people here.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: clueless

Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 05:49:39 am
While i'm not an expert in regards to this, I do know that publishers are more than likely not going to look at anything unless you have a great deal of the game finished. This is for a variety of reasons, including some of the problems you mention in your post.
The more reputation you have though, the more likely a publisher will not pass you up, so if something has an audience, a publisher wants to hear about it, because they are less likely to accept something which would only apeal to a handful of people.
If you do get a deal with a publisher, chances are they'll be taking a large portion of the profits for the work they'll do to sell it.
A nice thing about casual games and their market, is it is fairly easy to setup a site where you can sell your game and not have to worry about publishers all that much. But if you want to aim higher and go for say a handheld device or something, you'll need a publisher to handle all the packaging and marketing and all that crazy stuff i think.

I think the biggest thing about getting a publisher would be the actual game itself. If it means money in the eyes of a publisher, they'll jump on it. So presentation and research is everything if not something..

edit: Also, i've known people who have gotten publishers to lend them money to hire people and makethe game because the ideas were good. so, it varies..

edit2: You can try making demos of games to show to publishers, and if they like it, you might get some help to fund its development. you'll have to pay it all back though once the game starts selling, plus more for the portion they take to publish it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 06:05:41 am by Alex Hanson-White »

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Re: clueless

Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 06:37:07 am
If you have the time, you can find alot of info about the business side of creating your own games at this forum:
Very good resource. (love your pixelled horses/army btw!)

http://forums.indiegamer.com/index.php

Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins