AuthorTopic: Tile Arches and Shadows  (Read 3029 times)

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Tile Arches and Shadows

on: July 25, 2014, 04:40:01 pm
Having some difficulty getting the arches to look right.  Potentially due to the position of the shadow.

C&C would be very much appreciated.

Offline donuts

• View Profile

Re: Tile Arches and Shadows

Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 05:15:56 pm
Right now, it looks as if your light source is coming from above and behind the scene judging from the sides of the bricks being in shadow. So really, the whole underside of the archway should be in shadow. Make sure your lights source is consistent throughout.

Offline DawnBringer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 05:35:06 pm
To figure out shadows; use models (any object you can find or craft that looks similar in structure) and luminate it with a flashlight or lamp.

The light in your image is coming from front-top-left for most other stuff...so top-front only for the arcs will not look quite right.

Offline Blobber

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 09:12:22 pm
I'm going to risk commenting on this, even though last time feedback was sought for this project I feel like very little of the feedback actually made it back into the art.

So, when I look at this, I am confused. Visually, I can't work out what is higher and what is lower. Something that can help with this is shadows - in fact I don't know how you are going to do this without shadows. My point is - at the moment it's a mix of texture but even looking at it carefully, its hard to decode. You need to pick a light source direction and apply it consistently.

I think this was the most confusing part of the image for me:

I've added a couple of shadows based on what I can only guess is your desired light source direction:

Offline pyxelbit

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 11:09:15 am
i would start tweaking all the tiles to have a consistant light source. sometimes it looks light frontal light, sometimes slightly from the left.
By making it consistant it would be easier to see what is higher and lower. and then you can add shadows.

About the arches:
there are regular stone arches and corbel arches (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corbel_arch). at this point the bridge would just fall into pieces. a realistic construction could make it look more realistic