AuthorTopic: Plague Marine  (Read 5198 times)

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Plague Marine

on: July 22, 2014, 08:02:47 pm

Taking a break from game assets because my programmer is too busy wanking to work  >:(
Looking for C&C on everything. The subject is intended to be a traitorous marine devoted to Nurgle.

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Re: Plague Marine

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 08:00:10 am
Hey, I think his pose is a little stiff so I made a wider more hulking stance.

I'm not too familiar with the warhammer universe (not a fan) so I used this ref:
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131106043235/warhammer40k/images/9/98/Plague_Marines_Index_Chaotica.png

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 06:13:42 pm
thank you wolf! great edit overall, though it downplays the plaguey side. it gave me a lot more motivation to refine my work.

got a proper reference http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130108104727/warhammer40k/images/archive/1/18/20130109054240!Plague_Marine.jpg
and i think the helmet and leftmost pauldron are getting close to 'finished'.
am i going in the right direction? once i get the shapes down i'm going to add decal bits and more rust/holes.

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 06:55:19 pm
I'd like to see some more specular highlights.

This thread makes me want to pixel Nurgle or some shit. I LOVE wh40k character design.

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 06:56:59 pm
Well shoot. I had to wait until the end of work today to made an edit (however rough it is), and it looks like I just missed posting it in time. :(

Here it is anyway:

I was going to suggest the same reference you used because it's much more Nurgle.
Bloated stomachs are a dead giveaway that someone is Nurgle. Also hives breaking out of their armour and often guts hanging out. Sores are also common.
They seem to sort of shuffle around like zombies, so too rigid a stance won't make them feel very Nurgle.

Two big things you are lacking though:
Horns/external bones and their breathy backpack things (I think they're used for air ventilation?)

As a side note, all Plague Marines carry a plague knife don't they?

I never got very into playing the game, but I loved my Plague Marines (they are actually Chosen I converted with some greenstuff) and I really like painting these little guys. Bloody expensive hobby though.
* may contain misinformation

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 07:47:49 pm
@wolfenoctis Man you've killed it, especially lighting :). Boots are narrow and they should be bulky, but that's not your fault cause you can't see that from your reference.

Ambivorous made a great edit, and he did one very smart thing, he changed hand that's holding the weapon. By doing this he gained visibility of entire torso which allows adding a lot of details and those intestines which are important part of this piece.  :y:

In your version helm is too big in compare to reference, and in both edits that's not the case.

My suggestion is that you try to combine these two edits (wolfenoctis lights and colors and Ambivorous stance and shape).

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 08:49:28 pm
thanks so much for the responses. i really appreciate getting this much help  :crazy:
i want to keep with a yellowish/brown palette for the color scheme, and a lot of nurgly details i haven't worked in yet, as i would like to get down the big idea before detailing fully. i will certainly add horns though.
i would like to try a less typical nurglite in this case, as i like the cleaner look of plague marines like this one

i really love wolf's use of colors and i certainly will mess with the proportions more- i will try to mimic wolf's color use more without shifting fully from the color scheme i have now.
i think i'll add some glowy bits, gas tanks and tubes to keep visual interest without doing the totally broken down armor.
more updates are on the way.

EDIT:
new work! tried a meat hook instead of a gun. if a gun would be better, i think i'll do some kind of javelin shooter.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:24:20 pm by Fizzick »

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 12:33:32 am
Try to stick with the previous drawing and try to make it as best as you can. You will learn more than when you change your concept after first hard bump.

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 12:37:51 am
Try to stick with the previous drawing and try to make it as best as you can. You will learn more than when you change your concept after first hard bump.

where's the bump??

Edit:

I see what you mean. I didn't change the source material, I had already seen that mini and thought it looked cool so I had already intended to move in that direction. I suppose since the dirty look is more difficult I should go with it, since my goal is to get better. I'll keep working when I get to the computer.

Also just noticed how much nicer my posts look when I capitalize them. Thanks autocorrect. I'll be less lazy about that too  :y:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:49:26 am by Fizzick »