AuthorTopic: [WIP] [Newbie] Voltorb  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Oddric

• View Profile

[WIP] [Newbie] Voltorb

on: July 23, 2014, 10:24:57 pm
Hello! I tried my hand at actually making sprite today after a few days of lurking and understanding pixel theory. Pokemon sprites as a starting point seemed like it was up my alley so I'm starting with that.

Maybe I should have made voltorb a bit bigger, and I was going to, but any circle I tried making looked a bit... off. And I tried to steer away from the circle function of GraphicsGale.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. Maybe... not even so much on what there is to "fix" with the voltorb but with how I should approach something in future. I do have a bit of trouble with color palettes and color theory... I've looked up a lot of palette tutorials and how to use them, really quite a lot, but I feel like I'm just missing something. Like I don't know how the theory, creation, and practice all fits together. But I guess that's another issue and hopefully it'll diminish with experience.

Thanks so much.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] [Newbie] Voltorb

Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 02:49:00 am

If it's pixel tech you're focusing on, I think this is the right amount of AA. I think this is a fine size to draw as well.

If you're making a sprite, you probably do not want to apply AA on the outer edges since the AA works only on a super light background

I also tweaked the proportions to more closely match official artwork of voltorb - larger eyes, smaller irises, triangular eyes, and bulging brows. Pokemon sprites are easier to do than other things, though we still need to pay attention to details like how big the eyes are if you want to capture the likeness of various pokemon. This will get more important later on if you're trying harder subjects too

Offline Oddric

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] [Newbie] Voltorb

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 12:25:28 pm

Ohhh, yes. I definitely see what you're saying. I took a couple hints from your sprite and tried applying it to my own! That was a big help, thank you.