AuthorTopic: Lost Fortress gallery - Project status: DEAD.  (Read 16097 times)

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Lost Fortress gallery - Project status: DEAD.

on: July 20, 2014, 08:05:09 pm
Hello everyone !

First of all, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm 28, French and an hobbyist artist. I've stalked the forum for quite a while, and i feel like participating could be a good thing. I'm currently working on a game project, using game maker. It's a platformer / RPG / roguelike / dungeon crawler, the line is still very blurry between those elements, I'm working on the engine for now. I started this project by making some pixel dwarves, and I felt the urge to see them running around, that's how i started. The animations of the dwarf is the very first piece of pixel art I made, he's currently very bland, carrying no item and is dressed poorly. I made him as a place holder and a base for the upcoming classes I plan to make, so refining it could be a good idea before making a sprite that will be in the game "for real".

As you can see, the images are quite small, giving a retro feeling I was looking for. It's also faster to make stuff, witch is one of my top priority : if I want something to be finished, I can't spend 10 hours on an idle animation, or 3 hours on a stone texture. I have a full time job and do it as a personal project. I want a lot of enemies, a lot of textures and furnitures, a lot of unique stuff. Pixel art was THE way to go.

This topic will be edited with new elements as I make them. Comments, criticism, advices are welcome.

A few concepts arts.

Yes, I like beards, beer and bears. And dinosaurs.

Dwarf animations :

I might make the dwarf one or two pixels taller (and larger), because right now he's just a little bit taller than the blocks of my levels, which makes it no-so obvious that he can't go inside 1 bloc high tunnels. Where goblins can go, because they're really small. It would make the dwarf a bit bigger, larger.
Done.

Goblin's animations :

He's quite nervous.

As you can see I've tried to work wit very limited palette, I want the result to be clean, smooth, quite minimalistic. I spend a lot of time right now on codding, so i won't have a lot of new stuff to show in a near future, but I'll post a few screenshots when i will have enough textures to show something.

Thanks for reading !

skaz

Bonus : Very early screenshot.

[EDIT] : new stuff in, old stuff out.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:56:42 pm by Skaz »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: Lost Fortress gallery - C+C welcome

Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 08:25:32 pm
I would recommend axing the extra shades on the goblin. It's too small to have so many colors in it, especially in the body and necklace.

It would make it more readable, and probably shorten the process a bit.

Otherwise, everything looks pretty good to me.

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 04:40:31 pm
Thanks for the reply !

Actually you are completely right : I was planning on making arts with a limited palette but it got out of hands with the goblin... Colours look noisy, I will cut the palette, badly.

I reworked the dwarf, but didn't made him taller, i made him.... shorter ! He will now be able to go in 1 bloc high tunnels, allowing to interesting game play. I made a turnaround, to allow me to make more fluid animations, less "side view", a bit more volumetric. The palette was cut, too.

Comments, criticism welcome.

[EDIT] made the turnaround 16 frames instead of 8.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 02:49:43 pm by Skaz »

Offline jahasaja

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 09:22:06 am
I just came here to say that it looks great.

Really good animations and good idea to keep the colour count down.

also if you want edits upload in the original size...

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 08:03:09 pm
So, it's been a while. But i've been mainly making code for my game. Actually, it's not totally true, I remade all of the dwarf sprite, to a maximum 15 pixel height. :

I've also made a few artworks, mainly to let my brain breathe a bit.

Yes, I'll put dinosaurs in my game. IT'S MY GAME, I DO WHAT I WANT, AHAHaha.... I feel like a small kid. I can make it myself? Ok, so I'll poor everything I love inside, even if it makes no sense whatsoever. Exactly what I'm doing. Feels good.

Comments, criticisms welcome.

EDIT : a very early screen shot can give a small idea of what I'm trying to create. also, cute little heaths. <3

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:12:43 pm by Skaz »

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 01:38:12 pm
Hm... the style of those dwarfs appears to be heavily Warhammer inspired, especially the one with the mohawk resembles a Slayer pretty much 1:1. This could probably lead to legal troubles and so my only suggestion at this point is to change the style into something which does not look like a rip-off.

The animation themselves are smooth and good. I like miniature stuff like that.  :y:

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 03:59:48 pm
Yeah, the slayer is a slayer, but I made him mostly for fun. He will not appear in the game. The base, blond dwarf will be the character, the player will equip him with weapons / armours, the sprite will just be covered by those elements.

Thanks for the comments ! It's really funny to make something that small look alive.

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 07:00:07 pm
Hunting down a T-rex might require some powerfull hardware.

Offline Lux

• View Profile
    • Purple Pwny Studios

Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 07:40:02 pm
Nice animations on the dwarf character; they have a good sense of weight and gravity. One thing that bugs me is that his legs seem a bit stiff on the run cycle- I think it might help if his knees bent a little more. Otherwise, good work. :)

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 09:50:33 pm
Yeah, the more I see the run cycle the more I find that 6 frames was a bit cheap. It's one of the animations the player will see the most, let's not make economies on it ! New version with 8 frames, feels way more inertial. also, jumps a bit higher durring the cycle.

New 8 frames :

Old 6 frames :
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:52:12 pm by Skaz »