AuthorTopic: C+C on this walk cycle please  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Savick

• View Profile

C+C on this walk cycle please

on: July 17, 2014, 11:54:16 am
I think she looks okay, but I would still like some advice so I can improve how the sprites look. Thanks for any comments!

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Re: C+C on this walk cycle please

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 09:25:04 pm
I think this would get some feedback if you posted it as an animated GIF.. it's hard to tell if it's any good or not without seeing it move.
Also post it in animation unless you plan on posting other things in this thread as well such as backgrounds and other assets.

Offline miro42

• View Profile
    • Floydian Theory

Re: C+C on this walk cycle please

Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 08:17:47 am
Hey there Savick.  So without animating it there are going to be quite a few problems.

First is a little picture which I'll reference after the image.

A.  At this position you have both legs completely straight.   Unless people are marching, or their legs are stuck in that position (casts or ice), both legs are never straight at the same time.  Where the arrow is I suggest a little bend.

B.  Use a guide and preferably onion skin (drawing at a lower opacity over the previous frame) while animating because you get mistakes likes this, where the foot is supposed to be touching the ground and instead it's hovering in the air.

C.  The legs are apart all the time.  This will make him looking like he's sliding.  Get up and walk a bit while looking at your legs.  If they're that far apart you're either strutting or ice skating.  The thighs should touch if not overlap.

What program are you using to draw in?  The best thing you can do to improve the animation is use a program where you can overlay pictures right on top where you can see exactly what's going on in the previous frame.  I think most programs do this now.  GIMP does and it's free.

From a design standpoint the front and back pictures don't match the profile.  The shoulder pads are noticeably shoulder pads in profile, but they just look like a shirt in back/front views.  I think you could change that with just a raised pixel, maybe two.

Hope that helps!  I'll try and animate it and help you out further, unless you beat me to it ;)