AuthorTopic: Chrome now supports pixel zoom!  (Read 18042 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: No more blurry zoom!

Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 07:25:00 pm
Works. You're a rockstar.  :crazy:

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 09:53:47 pm
Works. You're a rockstar.  :crazy:
Heh, I've been trying to get this to work for a while now, because I knew it would be possible. I've been working on similar stuff for a while now and I suddenly gained the knowledge to tackle this :)

The only issue is that animation support is basically a hack. I will try to find a solution though and hopefully donate all the resulting code for Pixelation's use.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 10:06:14 pm
. . .
The next version will have these and I'm assuming it'll fix that elusive bug where the images stop rendering halfway down a thread.

Yep, this is a problem. My workaround is hitting a "Quote" link on a post on the page and then using the browser's Back button. Shouldn't make a difference, but it does - all images show up.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 12:37:11 am
Yep, this is a problem. My workaround is hitting a "Quote" link on a post on the page and then using the browser's Back button. Shouldn't make a difference, but it does - all images show up.
The sporadity of the bug and the fact that it shows up more or less for certain users, combined with how it shows up, leads me to believe that it's a bug in the browser's rendering, possibly caused by either too many zoomable images or by setting up too many render loops.

Next version will contain a fix for both issues. I will only make an image zoomable once you try to zoom in on it and I'll make one render loop that renders all images.

Version 2.1 is up. Apparently something went wrong with the last version, as I can tell not a lot installed it. I changed the link above to properly represent the new url, which should fix this issue. From now on, if set in the options, this should auto-update.

Changes include a fix to the bug where images stop rendering. Please tell me if everything works.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:24:45 pm by Crow »

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Re: No more blurry zoom v2.1! [UPDATE: July 18]

Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 02:25:07 pm
Cookie'd. Pretty sure the others agree. No more double posts, though, please :crazy:
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 06:13:07 pm
The good news is that it works (the images are now loading all the way through a thread), Gil. Nicely done and thanks because it really is awesome.

The bad news is that a friend just linked a 2818x4062 image to me and I clicked it once to make it native size, then once to make it small again, then again because I thought the click hadn't registered (where actually it was just slowly trying to render it) and then my PC crashed.
I'm thinking maybe you should set a max size, or switch off that feature if it's no longer needed (as I understand it, it's only there as a workaround for images not loading?).

I have a quad-core i5, a GTX 470, Windows 7 Pro SP1 and the latest Chrome, by the by.
* may contain misinformation

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 02:33:02 pm
The good news is that it works (the images are now loading all the way through a thread), Gil. Nicely done and thanks because it really is awesome.

The bad news is that a friend just linked a 2818x4062 image to me and I clicked it once to make it native size, then once to make it small again, then again because I thought the click hadn't registered (where actually it was just slowly trying to render it) and then my PC crashed.
I'm thinking maybe you should set a max size, or switch off that feature if it's no longer needed (as I understand it, it's only there as a workaround for images not loading?).

I have a quad-core i5, a GTX 470, Windows 7 Pro SP1 and the latest Chrome, by the by.
Ah yes, I'll have to remedy that happening. I'll set up a max size for the next version. For now, the easiest way is to turn the script off when looking at large images. It will only start to render when first clicked.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 02:51:36 pm
You should put an image in the first post so people can easily and quickly do a test.

___

"Version 2.0 is here. Should have way better browser support. Now supports image tabs, PixelJoint gallery . . ."

??

Is this supposed to affect PixelJoint somehow?

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 04:20:10 pm

Ah yes, I'll have to remedy that happening. I'll set up a max size for the next version. For now, the easiest way is to turn the script off when looking at large images. It will only start to render when first clicked.

Why does it even work on those images? Should restrict it to certain ones. On Pixelation, img elements with the zoom class will do.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 09:05:10 pm
Yes the script is now loading on every page. It should be restricted to wayofthepixel.
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer