AuthorTopic: Some of my Work, could use Advices!  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Farage

• View Profile

Some of my Work, could use Advices!

on: July 14, 2014, 11:57:16 pm
was messing around with a crystal cave and ended up with this setup, any opinions?

also, theres more from the game im developing here: http://edfarage.tumblr.com/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:10:00 am by Farage »

Offline hellotherekyle

• View Profile

Re: Some of my Work, could use Advices!

Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 02:06:51 am
It looks really really good to me. Only thing I'd say is I like the version you had on your website with the glow in the visor better than without it.

Offline Farage

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 03:16:30 am
It looks really really good to me. Only thing I'd say is I like the version you had on your website with the glow in the visor better than without it.
Thanks! Yeah well i turned it "off" for the color testing thing. Will make sure to include it on the next mock-up.

Offline jahasaja

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 07:29:22 am
Looks cool, But I think it has some angle and shape issues. When looking at it I cannot figure out if the plates below the chest plates are supposed to be on the middle of the body or slightly to his (or hers) left.

The helmets also has angle issues my eyes goes directly to the very straight line on the right. Also the protection in front of the mouth seems wrong from an angle standpoint. I would try to use a motorcycle helmet or something similar as reference to get the angles right.

I tried to do an edit but it seem like the picture you uploaded is twice the size it should be? (or maybe my computer is going crazy it has happen before.)

Anyways, Just a quick edit where I moved the the plates below the chest. I also tried to change the helmet but I did not really succeed.  At least you might understand what I was trying to say.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:49:57 am by jahasaja »

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 01:19:14 pm
The pose looks awkwardly forced to me. The arms should be bent slightly, stand up and completely straighten out your arms like your character is doing now, notice how it feels awkward and takes effort, then relax and notice the slight bend at the elbow when you are just standing around.

Offline DannyRyuu

• View Profile
    • GameJolt

Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 02:21:19 pm
I would clean the coloring a bit up and maybe use 1 tone more between the highlight and the basic color :o
Other than that looks great (and agree with the visor thingy)

Offline Farage

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 08:01:03 pm

Okay, i tried to fix the pose a little bit and make him look more natural and less "buffed".
These are the original colors without the cyan contrast of the first image, so keep that in mind.
~edit~
More black as shading, shortened the arms and added more details to legs.

~~edit~~
Mock-up + one more color from highlight to shading

fuck, i forgot the visor thing  :'(
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:43:39 pm by Farage »

Offline loosin

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 11:00:22 pm
I don't think he has any issues with looking buff but I think he is still looking too rigid

1) Silhouette of your figure & of an edit I attempted (but scrapped)
2) cyan lines are "lines of flow" as I saw it
3) I think your figure looks rigid because (especially without the arms) it is too cylindrical
4) a "skeleton" that conforms to the silhouettes (or is supposed to)
5) really rough figure based on the skeleton. glaring anatomical problems/awkwardness & more feminine than I intended BUT I think it is looking more natural (more "flow", less rigidity) and it looks 3 dimensional -- which brings me to my last point

The shading is focused too much on the little things -- the helmet, the kneecaps, breast plates etc -- and the bigger picture suffers for it. The figure looses its sense of solidity and the appears to be all in one plane -- 2d despite the shading

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 12:10:28 am
Here is mine not very clean edit:

I edited version from your blog. I think that black outlines on black background aren't very good idea. Your character looks like he is squished from the side. Also shading is random. You need to determine light source (or two, additional secondary light) to make this look good. Also try to find some references of metal reflection. There are few very useful treads here from which you can learn.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 02:51:53 am

This is the type of coloring you should go more for with your char -- but a big problem is that his body parts still disappear into the BG he's on and appear to be floating ominously. You can make the darkest color in the char's body a little lighter than the BG so that the player can see his slightly lighter outline (than the BG's color) even against that dark BG.

Another option is to define more of the internal forms of your character (read: attach them to each other instead of letting the majority of the body parts be covered / disappear into the shadow -- this shadowy look is fine for scenery, just not for similarly-lit characters against that shadowy scenery -- especially when it's the same color/value shadow). He's either in the background plane (and shadows) or he isn't -- he can't be both in the background and foreground/middleground at the same time.

Your pose also is still overall too rigid and overall makes a straight downward line with its silhouette (try squinting and see what we all mean).

As a final note, you should upload your character at 100% instead of a larger size so we can provide edits more easily. We can always click to zoom in on your image on the forums.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/