AuthorTopic: [WIP] Runner background  (Read 8731 times)

Offline LeshrotArt

• View Profile

[WIP] Runner background

on: July 14, 2014, 12:49:33 am
Hey guys!!

I'm new to this kind of pixel art and I want to improve my skills in.

I'd like to receive any feedback that can improve the harmony, design or anything of this background:

Thanks,
Leshrot

Offline Yukie Anima

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Runner background

Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 01:12:03 am
I think you should do dithering for the colors transition, and you really need to add more clouds. Too much free space on the sky isn't good.
Gradients for between colors is a danger for pixel art. If you wanna transition between colors, dithering is the solution for 95% (or more) of the time!
Also, don't exagerate on Antialias. It's other danger for pixel art. And I don't think it's necessary for clouds.

(I don't know if links can be posted, if they can't, please tell me)
Also, if you don't know what dithering is, here is a tutorial for it: http://kitted.deviantart.com/art/DITHERING-TUTORIAL-Basics-69747353 (I learned from this tutorial, and it is really good!)
And another good tutorial about how to make clouds: http://www.rapapaing.com/blog/?p=12

Good Luck!

Edit: I forgot something. Use less colors for the sky. These 4 colors are a little unecessary. Try using 2, or 3 max for the transition.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:14:51 am by Yukie Anima »
I'm actually a little scared of forums... but I always liked them, so I'm joining this one now! I hope we can all get along.

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 01:25:04 am
i don't think dithering is a good idea, i think you could avoid a straight-up gradient by silhouetting more distant clouds with the colors you have used for the transition. dithering is not a solution 95% of the time, as it creates a specific texture that is not always desired.

Offline Yukie Anima

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 01:30:25 am
i don't think dithering is a good idea, i think you could avoid a straight-up gradient by silhouetting more distant clouds with the colors you have used for the transition. dithering is not a solution 95% of the time, as it creates a specific texture that is not always desired.
Really? Sorry for saying it wrong then...
Because almost all the sky backgrounds I saw had dittering when changing colors. So I thought it would work.

Forget my comment then. I'm sorry.
I'm actually a little scared of forums... but I always liked them, so I'm joining this one now! I hope we can all get along.

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 01:36:41 am
Really? Sorry for saying it wrong then...
Because almost all the sky backgrounds I saw had dittering when changing colors. So I thought it would work.

Forget my comment then. I'm sorry.

Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
just my opinion it's all sujective idk what i'm a talk about to do how that when we've got as there's where they're all looking

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 01:37:46 am
Dithering is a matter of preference, but personally I don't like it. It was mostly used back when screen were really blurry and so the colors just kind blended together and created a shade between the two colors. Not so much, these days. :P
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline loosin

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 10:07:06 pm
I would suggest doing this sort of thing for the sky transition
Also I thought your clouds were too symmetrical (about the vertical center) -- though i don't think this is a great composition for them either

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:08:39 pm by loosin »

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 10:57:00 pm

Offline Farage

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 12:08:37 am
I mean, you can always use real pictures as reference, you know?
Heres one i quickly pixelated using secret tools

See how you did it inverted? Maybe that's whats bothering you.

Offline LeshrotArt

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 12:14:21 am
I made these new clouds a little while, thanks for the feedback I have just received from you!

I'll do more edits based in your feedback :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:19:10 am by LeshrotArt »