AuthorTopic: GR#199 - Character - Animation  (Read 31174 times)

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile

Another edit. I'm still finalizing my color palette, so I didn't change any of the colors yet, but I did try to remove all of my banding, and added a belt! Also re-sized my gorilla arms.

Thoughts??

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO
Much improved pillow-shading elimination. Nice touch with the shine there too.

The crease in the forearm/bicep area seems to not know where it's going anatomy-wise. Are you emphasizing the roundness of the bicep or the upward curve of the forearm muscle down toward the elbow with that extra pixel?

I mention that because single isolated pixels like that are not good to have unless they clearly express some important feature. You have another on the wrist and you should either get rid of both or double them up into a 2px wide cluster. Either would be workable, but neither place on the nearest visible arm is clear enough as-is with that single-pixel floating without a clear purpose.

The one other thing that bothers me is the lack of a clearly discernible ear (could be, in part, due to the distance the chin line goes back past where the ear should be and outlines the head like it's a separate piece barely attached to the body. ;P)

And while we're talking about the head -- the hair swoop above his forehead just seems to move around without any influence from the physics of his body and the movement of his head. It gives the appearance of sorta 'combing itself' forward during each loop of the animation. I know the dude is stylish, but unless there's a disembodied comb up there automatically combing his hair as he moves it out of place (which I admit would be fracking hilarious), it really does look off.

Finally, the medium and darkest hair and medium skin tones really do need to be lightened up -- otherwise this sprite looks, at first glance, like it has only 2 colors per part (not including the black outline and transparency).
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

A problem I have with the shading is how all the shades are hugging the outlines. That doesn't help to denote forms. In my edit I just tried to push them past the outlines.

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile

Another rework. Changed the color palette, tried to tone down saturation on the clothing, create more distinction between the mid and low shadows on the skin, and more shading improvements.

Thoughts? I am so new to this, and to color theory especially. This is a lot to learn! Thanks so much to all of you that have contributed to this piece and to helping me learn!

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

That should give you a bit of an idea of what to do about the hands and the values you should select for colors. The main difference is not that I simply lightened the colors, but I made the contrast between each value graduation on the ramp more stark, essentially making them more stark in their brightness difference.

I also showed you what I meant about leaving that lone pixel on the wrist and removed the brightest color on his shirt -- you didn't need that light because there wasn't a lot you could light on a dull green seemingly cotton shirt.

Finally, I played with his hair animation on a few frames, but one in particular where it almost flattens out to give it more of that 'bounce' you seemed to be going for.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile

That should give you a bit of an idea of what to do about the hands and the values you should select for colors. The main difference is not that I simply lightened the colors, but I made the contrast between each value graduation on the ramp more stark, essentially making them more stark in their brightness difference.

I also showed you what I meant about leaving that lone pixel on the wrist and removed the brightest color on his shirt -- you didn't need that light because there wasn't a lot you could light on a dull green seemingly cotton shirt.

Finally, I played with his hair animation on a few frames, but one in particular where it almost flattens out to give it more of that 'bounce' you seemed to be going for.

Wow! That really shows a lot! Thanks!

Though, I am a little confused about the pattern on the shirt.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO
Though, I am a little confused about the pattern on the shirt.

Just doing something with that extra color that lines the bottom of the shirt near his pants. Just felt like balancing it. Was thinking of the legend of zelda bird logo at the time. Feel free to ignore it. xP