AuthorTopic: [C&C] Sidescroller Animations & Pixel Art  (Read 8554 times)

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Re: [C&C] Sidescroller Animations & Pixel Art

Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 09:52:22 am
Big improvement - The head should be up at the apex of the arc of both feet though. 

Offline Yukie Anima

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 03:05:13 pm
Big improvement - The head should be up at the apex of the arc of both feet though.

I tried to add jiggling to the head. Did it fix that?

Thanks!
I'm actually a little scared of forums... but I always liked them, so I'm joining this one now! I hope we can all get along.

Offline miro42

• View Profile
    • Floydian Theory

Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 08:08:37 pm
The arms still look like they're sliding as they always stay on the same line. 

I've changed the arms so when they're at the end of the swings the "hands" kind of flit up.  You'll notice also that I cut down on the secondary animations like the skirt flowing and the body shifting (which I realize I started that :P) mostly because I was so distracted by it that I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

As rikfuzz said the head needs to be up a total of twice, when the feet are in the passing position (the planted leg is fully stretched up and the other leg is passing through the same other leg), so I went ahead and did that. 

After that I found that it was odd that the was not moving down when the torso went down, which really didn't make sense, so the skirt moves down as well.

The thing that I think bothered me the most until I figured it out was that both feet were never on the ground at the same time.  It's sort of a type of running when you do that. :D  I also messed with leg positions so that they would move a little smoother.  As well, I added the front part of the foot only on the planted foot.

The head jiggling that you did I think would be fine but it's too choppy as it is.  I think if you held the head down at the bottom for another frame or two it would be less choppy.

On the hair I added a little bounce.  Not really sure if it looks good, but there you go.

I'm incredibly tired so if something doesn't make sense, I apologize. :lol:

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 08:49:34 pm
Looks like Miro finished an edit before me, but I made this to further illustrate the point:

Kinda redrew the whole thing, but you can just pay attention to the bobbing and limbs if that's what you want to work on. 

Offline Yukie Anima

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 09:28:34 pm
The arms still look like they're sliding as they always stay on the same line. 

I've changed the arms so when they're at the end of the swings the "hands" kind of flit up.  You'll notice also that I cut down on the secondary animations like the skirt flowing and the body shifting (which I realize I started that :P) mostly because I was so distracted by it that I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

As rikfuzz said the head needs to be up a total of twice, when the feet are in the passing position (the planted leg is fully stretched up and the other leg is passing through the same other leg), so I went ahead and did that. 

After that I found that it was odd that the was not moving down when the torso went down, which really didn't make sense, so the skirt moves down as well.

The thing that I think bothered me the most until I figured it out was that both feet were never on the ground at the same time.  It's sort of a type of running when you do that. :D  I also messed with leg positions so that they would move a little smoother.  As well, I added the front part of the foot only on the planted foot.

The head jiggling that you did I think would be fine but it's too choppy as it is.  I think if you held the head down at the bottom for another frame or two it would be less choppy.

On the hair I added a little bounce.  Not really sure if it looks good, but there you go.

I'm incredibly tired so if something doesn't make sense, I apologize. :lol:

Oh, so they can't stay on the same line.
I tried changing it before, but I couldn't make it in a good position.
And now I get it! It's supposed for the entire torso to go down, and not only the head. That's why it was a little strange.

Here it is!

Looks like Miro finished an edit before me, but I made this to further illustrate the point:

Kinda redrew the whole thing, but you can just pay attention to the bobbing and limbs if that's what you want to work on. 

Yes! I understand now.
Oh, and one more thing. I didn't explain her clothing very well.
Well, she uses a white jacket (I didn't know how to make it look like a jacket, so it is all square), and a orange shirt under her jacket, and a skirt that is "chess-like", I mean, like, black, white, black, white... I hope you understand me.
And one of her arms is a cyborg arm (She lost her hand because the spirit of the abbyss removed it from her, so the medics replaced it for a cyborg arm), so it's a little mecha-blue like, and the other is supposed to be the jacket.
Oh, and that on her neck is supposed to be a scarf. I didn't finish it.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:43:26 pm by Yukie Anima »
I'm actually a little scared of forums... but I always liked them, so I'm joining this one now! I hope we can all get along.

Offline miro42

• View Profile
    • Floydian Theory

Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 07:41:39 am
Hi Yukie, here's my edit of how I suggest you do what you had envisioned.

The scarf looked way to close in color to the shirt, so I just assumed it was the shirt.  Make it another color, I just did greenish, but at this resolution it almost looks like the hair, so maybe a nice bright red?  Don't listen to me on color, I'm terrible at it.

To separate the shirt from the jacket I removed one of the shirt pixels, so it's clear they're on a different level.  As well I gave a popped collar to the jacket so it doesn't seem like it's just an overshirt.

I added some contrast to the skirt's checkerboard pattern, because it looked to similar.  You could probably go further with it, maybe even adding in some color so it will look very different from the jacket.  Or change the jacket color, maybe?

The cyborg arm is a tough one.  I gave her hand a skin colored pixel and just added one darker pixel where her cyborg elbow should be.  Maybe you can make her human arm sleeveless to give it a bigger contrast.  If you don't want to make her arm sleeveless, then I suggest going with a new color as it's too close to the cyborg arm.

I hope that helps!

Offline Yukie Anima

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 08:23:52 am
You're right. I changed the color of the scarf and the skirt. Also tried to make the cyborg arm. Here is my try!

I also tried putting a little dot on each side of her to simulate the scarf as it is long.

Thanks!

Edit: I tried adding more personality into her by putting a top hat

I also tried a adding a hairpin. It doesn't show much, but I think it helps a bit

Is it strange?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:47:34 pm by Yukie Anima »