AuthorTopic: [Critique request] Brawler Knight Hook Punch  (Read 3498 times)

Offline Maka

• makapixel
    • makapixel
    • View Profile
    • MakaPixel

[Critique request] Brawler Knight Hook Punch

on: July 10, 2014, 12:33:21 am
Hey everyone! I just recently worked on this animation and I figured why not get some critique from some of the best in pixel art/animation!

Anyway I'm just curious what everyone thinks of this? What would you change? How would you do it differently from what I've done? Are there any glaring mistakes that you see? Also I'm primarily looks for critique in the animation department and not so much pixels. Reason being I did not design this character just animated it from a standing pose.

I'm open to all critique(hopefully fair critique) I personally feel it flows pretty well. The only thing I don't like is how it lacks power. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to inject it into this animation. Right now he sort of looks like he is missing because there is no resistance or recoil.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone says  :)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:39:01 am by Maka »

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Re: [Critique request] Brawler Knight Hook Punch

Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 03:27:56 pm
Hi Maka! That's a very nice animation you have going.
My favourite part of this whole animation is the fact that his back foot spins as he's punching. A+ stuff.

I'm no expert on animation, but I believe one of the reasons it lacks power is simply because you have too much movement going on.
I did a simple edit to show this. Literally all I did was delete two frames and increase the delay on one of the adjacent frames.

The first delete/delay happens at his fully retracted position. This pause adds a bit of anticipation (I could be wrong, maybe the small movement is better).
The second delete/delay removed the extra "whoosh" which I felt made the action look sluggish and more of a sweeping motion. It's supposed to be a fast action followed immediately by a halt. The pause extends that halt which adds weight to the punch - you can't just retract your arm immediately after a really hard punch after all. I didn't want to make recoil because what if he punches thin air? There's not much recoil when you punch thin air.

I of course didn't bother animating the cloth again, so you'll have to do that.
* may contain misinformation

Offline Maka

• makapixel
    • makapixel
    • View Profile
    • MakaPixel

Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 09:39:35 pm
I completely agree with you about deleting those extra nonsense frames. It really does add a certain force to the action without making it come to a dead stop. Sometimes it's easy to just keep adding frames without taking into account the feel it will have toward the overall animation. I guess I made that mistake for this one.  :(

You gave me an idea of how I want to proceed with this animation. I'll post it a little bit later :)

In the mean time I look forward to more critique haha! Hopefully my edit won't be completely obsolete by the time I get back.

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 06:33:03 pm
I completely agree with you about deleting those extra nonsense frames.

Here's my opinion.

I disagree with that, because having more frames, if drawn carefully like you did, gives more quality to the animation. I think it's all about the timings, the frames that show very little movement should be much faster than the others.
I edited the timings:

And now let's make a comparison:

Okay, maybe I made the animation faster, but I think the anticipation is still present in my "edit" (I have done nothing, as I said I just altered the timings on the frames of the original gif).

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 09:26:20 pm
I think the second one looks the most powerful and lumbering, which is how I would imagine a character of this type to attack. However, in my opinion the difference between each of these is nearly unnoticeable unless you compare them side-by-side. Very good work, by the way. The rotations look really good and give it a lot of depth.
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)