AuthorTopic: [C&C] Sci-fi tileset mockup  (Read 3922 times)

Offline Phoenix849

• olegklishinart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/45959.htm
    • View Profile
    • olegklishin.com

[C&C] Sci-fi tileset mockup

on: July 09, 2014, 11:27:42 pm
I'm aiming to build a professional looking portfolio, so maybe I could contribute to some awesome projects instead of wasting my time on fooling around  ;D

This is just a small WIP mockup I put this together from scratch in nearly 4 hours. Heavily inspired by Chrono Trigger. It's not a particular game, but I want this to look polished like it could come from a real project. I carefully designed it to perfectly fit into 16px tiles and allow many combos and reusability. Took way too much time than it should but I'm extremely happy with the result.

This is version 2. Here I tried strongly saturated objects and characters to make more contrast with surroundings. They use a completely different palette. Not sure about style consistency. It looks neat to me, but may look horrible to you. Looking for some feedback.

So I really hope to get into professional field some day.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:10:24 am by Phoenix849 »
Art portfolio and social media links: olegklishin.com

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Re: [C&C] Sci-fi tileset mockup

Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 06:39:39 am
Looking really well done there for the most part. The hud in particular is really creative.

Some portions on the wall could use an extra darker shade (such as the vents) and the neon green barrels stick out way too much for being just scenery -- they look like they might be destructible, but visually, they're distracting otherwise because they take so much focus away from the important stuff like your characters and the player's health.

And speaking of health, you could use a brighter red on it so that it doesn't blend so closely in with the red in the level's tileset. It's not so bad that it blends in too much, but it can stand to use some more color/brightness differentiation to separate it further.

Lastly, your characters could do with a bit more contrast/hueshifting between their shadows and midtones. Compared to the rest of your tileset, their forms/colors are really lacking.

Hope I'm not being too nitpicky. It looks pretty decent otherwise. CT is a great reference for pixel art.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26848.htm
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 09:05:05 am
Impressive work!
I think walls and floor lacks contrast now. For this reason floor behind the red character is perceived as a wall:

PS: Please say this is going to be a game. :3

Offline Phoenix849

• olegklishinart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/45959.htm
    • View Profile
    • olegklishin.com

Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 01:45:44 pm
Some portions on the wall could use an extra darker shade (such as the vents) and the neon green barrels stick out way too much for being just scenery -- they look like they might be destructible, but visually, they're distracting otherwise because they take so much focus away from the important stuff like your characters and the player's health.
That was the point. I tried barrels with wall palette, so they blend into environmet perfectly, but I decided to use standing out palette for interactive objects. I think I'll call it done, or I'll go mad dedicating so much time to this not-even-in-game mockup. Should just do minor twisting to character colors. Thank you for the in-depth comment!
I think walls and floor lacks contrast now. For this reason floor behind the red character is perceived as a wall:
I tried to do exactly the opposite: darker walls and brighter floor. But maybe should've add a little bit more contrast.
PS: Please say this is going to be a game. :3
Sadly, no. But I reserve the right to use this tileset in some future project :)
Art portfolio and social media links: olegklishin.com