AuthorTopic: C&C on my color choice!  (Read 2081 times)

Offline xAuron

• View Profile

C&C on my color choice!

on: July 11, 2014, 11:14:27 pm
Hey! I've been trying to do a white-armor robot from a friend's drawing, so I came up with this:

Then he told me to get a more bluer tone for it, and that those blue lines were meant to be kinda "lit".
After my rework, it became this:

With the latter, I tried to achieve that "no-border" style which I don't know the right name, since I'm kinda new to this.
Are my palette colors ok?

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Re: C&C on my color choice!

Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 11:25:07 pm
Looks pretty nice.
  • Dithering is unadvisable for a something smooth and shiny like metal. It makes it look like rock, especially on the yellower one.
  • The left edge is uninteresting and shows the "grid" clearly... its just a straight line. Try to show the form more.
  • The dark grey on the torso looks off-center. Assuming the crests of the curves go in the center, the crests need to be moved to the left. As far as the torso goes, the yellow one looks better.
As far as the colors, they look ok to me. I struggle with colors too though... after having made art with graphite all my life, its been difficult for me to pick up this whole new dimension. XD Maybe someone else has some else to say about that. Nice piece, overall. :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:27:53 pm by PsylentKnight »
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline hellotherekyle

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 01:00:09 am
Pretty new to colors myself but I would maybe make the blue a tad darker to get some contrast between the suit and the lights? I dunno just a thought!

Offline xAuron

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 01:30:10 am
@PsylenKnight: Thank you. Yeah, the first one does look a little rugged if compared to the second. Thanks for the tips, I'll try to keep those in mind for the next pieces! And since you're into drawing, I'd like to see something you did anytime :)

@hellotherekyle: I tried to put it darker but it didn't look shiny to me...