AuthorTopic: GR#213 - Floating Island  (Read 21394 times)

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Floating Island

Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 07:41:39 pm
Hello everybody! Thanks a lot for all the input! :D and sorry for my late response! :'(

@Ambivorous: I intend to keep the rock spherical indeed as that was part of my initial concept of these floating island planets!
I see the sense in having the clouds frame the picture, but I don't really want to make everything spherical in that way. I'll try to think about how I arrange the clouds though!

@EvilEye: all fair points that I agree with! I'm actually unsure whether to even include the blue afterglow in the first place I don't think the piece really needs it. It sort of works against the simplicity, or maybe it could be done in a more delicate manner.

@Drazelic: also a fair point! And why I in my initial post said  I was the most unsure about the leaves. I have a few different styles of rendering going on there at the moment and I'm not really a fan of either. What I'm aiming for is something light and cartoonish while still maintaining detail. There is a KennethFejer-esque quality to the piece I'd like to keep. Edits on the leaves would be very appreciated!

I'll update this as soon as time allows, as I said I've been doing this between pixelling for work...and right now work has taken precedence,

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Floating Island

Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 05:52:23 pm

Finally worked some more on this!
Added a gang of explorers to give the piece some more life! Removed the blue afterglow on leave, for the better I think.
I still need to polish the leaves some more, same for the clouds. An I'll add some more birds for the explorers to interact with.   

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Re: Floating Island (now with 100% more khaki)

Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 12:23:41 pm
Man this looks so good.. So much personality in this piece! Left side of ball does not looks roundish as the right side of the ball... .. Its very hard to find problems here..
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:50:17 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 04:07:14 pm
Maybe parachute seams unfinished, all the piece is really awesome, i like both colors and design :)
Add some details and shadow

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 04:37:42 pm
It's hard to find a problem with this =)
Got one, maybe: why are the guys green-skinned with pink noses? Not seeing their faces doesn't help understanding. I'd have nothing against pink-nosed frogs but I need to see in order to believe!

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 11:51:16 pm
The rope across the rock looks pretty harsh against the smoothness and large clusters of the boulder.

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 04:09:11 am
that harsh light on the right side of the tree kind of looks out of kilter with the rest of the shading. I get that you going for daylight, and that can work, but the transition with that big shine (?) isn't reading well.

Beyond that, absolutely gorgeous work.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 04:02:35 am
The guy on the bottom left is a little hard to read in the face and arm area. Besides that, this is really awesome. I like the idea and the execution. =)