AuthorTopic: First forum. First pixel art.  (Read 2387 times)

Offline TylerRae

• A dev learning art.
    • View Profile

First forum. First pixel art.

on: July 10, 2014, 06:52:43 am

Haven't animated before and I'm hardly a decent artist, but I gave it my best shot. Took an image I drew and scaled it down in paint.NET before drawing pixels over the top of it. Then I tried to animate it lowering and opening its jaw. I am disappointed with the jaw/teeth but am somewhat happy about how the shading looks. To any who decide to post, I appreciate the feedback!
-________-

Offline miro42

• View Profile
    • Floydian Theory

Re: First forum. First pixel art.

Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 11:41:38 pm
From an animation standpoint the one thing that stuck out to me is that the eyes go bad and the mouth opens at the exact same time.  What you should want to try and go for is what's called overlapping action, meaning that not everything moves at the same time.  It creates a weird, static look.

Here's a quick edit, simply adding one frame where the eyes go evil before the mouth opens.

A question for you:  Is the skull supposed to be looking down as his mouth opens?  The shading and movement of the whole skull suggests this but the eyes stay in the same spot which means that it's not really looking down.  To change this you'd only need to move the eyes and nose hole down a single pixel.

12 Principles ofAnimation Check this out for quick reference.

Richard Williams The Animator's Survival Kit Check this out if you really want to get into animation.

EDIT:  Also, welcome to the forums!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:46:34 am by miro42 »

Offline TylerRae

• A dev learning art.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 04:08:42 am
Thanks for the input! I hadn't intended for the skull to look down, but here's a new version where it does anyway. I tried to do some of that overlapping action as well to add some interest.

-________-

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 05:10:17 pm
I think your dithering is pretty excessive.
Also, when the skull tilts downward, the top of it would actually get brighter and the front would darken (if your light source is higher than the skull).