AuthorTopic: Stolen Art  (Read 5648 times)

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• Hobbist Animator + Apprentice Falconer
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile

Stolen Art

on: July 07, 2014, 09:16:19 pm
I'm stuck in a pickle right now, and was wondering if one of you could help me out. I honestly didn't know where to put this, or even if I'm allowed to ask about this but it seems right since this is an art site.

I have found out that some of my very old art has been uploaded to Fanpop without my permission or giving credit to me. Even though the piece is old (and very bad) I still want to try to get it removed because its doing me no good on Fanpop without my credit.

Screenshot from google images if you search "wolves" and scroll down.

Link to my original- http://larkoftheriver.deviantart.com/art/Night-and-Day-385175153
Link to fanpop- http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/amazing-wolves/images/36709371/title/amazing-wolves-image

I know that there is probably nothing I can do about this and I'm probably overreacting a bit but I really don't like my work out on the internet without some form of credit.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: Stolen Art

Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 09:56:50 pm
instead of asking them to take it down, it seems to me that it would make more sense to email them to ask them to give you credit.  But honestly, unless they're profiting from it or claiming it as their own work, it's not really such a big deal.  The internet is all about sharing the cool things we found.

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 12:00:43 am
Yes. Nobody's making profit on your work. It's just sharing. And sharing, on internet, is inevitable - and it's fine actually !
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 09:41:04 pm
Maybe the thought of people viewing and enjoying your art is to some consolation?
Just like information wants to be free, art wants to be viewed!  ::)

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 09:48:19 pm
That's your watermark in the top right, no? Thats credit enough, in my opinion.
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 09:54:28 pm
hmm that's interesting.  The watermark isn't his.  It looks like they removed his signature on his original piece and added a watermark - but the watermark isn't from the fanpop site.  It looks like fanpop got it from superb wallpapers: http://www.superbwallpapers.com/fantasy/fire-and-ice-wolves-24381/

Pretty shitty thing to do - removing the sig and adding your own watermark for your site.

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 10:05:57 pm
Oh wow, I never noticed that.
Okay, now I'm pretty pissed about this. I can understand sharing it and such (but give credit pleaseee) but that.. good lord I'm glad I watermark my drawings now. Should I contact the site that put their watermark on my work?

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 10:10:26 pm
Oh wow, I never noticed that.
Okay, now I'm pretty pissed about this. I can understand sharing it and such (but give credit pleaseee) but that.. good lord I'm glad I watermark my drawings now. Should I contact the site that put their watermark on my work?

Yes!
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 10:17:46 pm
Okay, these folks are crafty. In order to report copyright infringement, I must give my full name, address, and all that stuff. HahahahHAHAHHSHAAH NO WAY am I giving them all my information (why would you need that?). Well, I have hit a fork in the road here. What should I do?

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 01:55:18 am
weird. sounds like maybe theyre just being difficult to put you off? id probably ask why my address was pertinent when i have a deviant art page with an uncropped image and an upload date on it that pretty much proves the theft.

you could always play ball, i mean i dont think theyll send you a shoe bomb in the mail or something? but i understand not wanting to comply and give out personal details with such an open and shut case.

if they wont back down and you really want to pursue it, only a lawyer can make them i guess.. not worth it though surely :D

maybe someone else has been through this before