AuthorTopic: Curse of Wystowe Castle  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Adam

• Some everyday Robin Hood guy.
    • View Profile
    • Ádámé - mostly hungarian

Curse of Wystowe Castle

on: July 07, 2014, 08:20:04 pm
Hi!

I'm fooling around with Android development and making a "Dungeon Master"-like first person RPG for which I'm trying to put a decent title screen together. Unfortunately I'm terribly out of practice for years now.

Here's what I have now:

Palette is essentially from Dragonstone (Amiga). Any comments or critiques welcome.

Edit:

A little less dithering, a little more shapes. Unified the text, though I'm not sure whether the title is legible enough. Is the composition a bit too busy for the small canvas?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:57:38 pm by Adam »
Nice. Now do the whole thing with the EGA palette!

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Re: Curse of Wystowe Castle

Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 06:33:32 pm
Hi Adam, that's a good edit you've made. Fixes a lot.

I'd say all the text is pretty illegible as it is now. If you don't want to simplify it you can always try increasing the saturation on it. Also add in a few greens if it's supposed to look like gold, and more contrast as well.
I also don't think you need that detail of snowcapped mountains. Just make the mountains a flat colour (probably a darker, less saturated blue than your sky) and see if that works to bring out the castle more.
You might try adding a little more contrast to the trees on the bottom left while you're at it.

EDIT:
Made an edit:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:52:00 pm by Ambivorous »
* may contain misinformation

Offline Adam

• Some everyday Robin Hood guy.
    • View Profile
    • Ádámé - mostly hungarian

Re: Curse of Wystowe Castle

Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 12:23:34 pm
Thanks, I've added a yellow to the palette and changed the text the way you suggested, and it is way better now.
A good advice on the mountains too, changed to the (unfortunately saturated) dark blue and it worked nicely.
I'm not so sure about the contrast on the trees though, I don't want to draw attention to there. Besides that, everything looks a bit more saturated and contrasty on my test mobile device - it might be that my display is not really well calibrated.
Nice. Now do the whole thing with the EGA palette!