AuthorTopic: [C+C] Smoking Girl Animation  (Read 7098 times)

Offline miro42

• View Profile
    • Floydian Theory

[C+C] Smoking Girl Animation

on: July 04, 2014, 03:46:58 am

Hey all!  I'm new to Pixelation and to really doing pixel art, especially the animation side of it.  Any and all help you can give would be great. :P
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 03:55:12 am by miro42 »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Smoking Girl Animation

Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 04:09:35 am
http://finalbossform.com/post/87928145625/capygames-beatfist-some-thingeys-i-did-on

You ever look at Super Time Force?
Reminds me of that.

It's simple, and can probably due with another frame for arm movement, but it's pretty good IMO.

Offline miro42

• View Profile
    • Floydian Theory

Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 05:19:38 am
Actually, Capy is what inspired me last night while I was pixel-ing it up.

You're right about the extra arm frame.  That was just me being lazy.  Shame on me.  ;D

Original:

New:

So here's the new animation with two extra arm frames.  I figure that since I was lazy on putting one extra arm movement in I'd go the extra mile this time and put two in, one going up and another one with her arm coming down.   :P
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 05:25:16 am by miro42 »

Offline ioji

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 11:34:31 am
Cute sprite. I would make the chest movement smoother (by modifying the previous and next frames).
Also maybe there should be a puff of smoke coming out of her mouth when she exhales :)

Offline miro42

• View Profile
    • Floydian Theory

Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 08:39:14 pm
Done with the extra sucking in and the exhale of smoke.

Also, I was challenged by someone to make what he calls a chicken-rat version, which is basically a meth head.

Offline FrostPumpkin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 08:51:03 pm
I really like it, great job on that sprite. The only critique I can bring is that the shading on the legs doesn't seem to fit the very simplistic style of the sprite. Try some plain beige, or maybe 2 pixels under the dress as an underline, as you did under the hair.
Oh, and the lightened part of a cigarette gets lighter during inhale, not darker

I really like that sprite

Offline miro42

• View Profile
    • Floydian Theory

Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 02:14:50 am
Thanks, FrostPumpkin.  I guess it's obvious I don't actually smoke. :P  Anyhoo, I changed the cigarette and put a line under her skirt.  I don't know what to do with the legs.  I like them as is, but if there are better ways I'll certainly take it into account.

Well, I'm off to work on another animation.  I feel like I'm losing my creative flow in reworking this one.

Enjoy:

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 05:53:00 am
  <-- anatomy/palette/silhouette tweak

As you can see, my biggest concern with your sprite was that the elbow on left side of the image is too close to her hip and appears as if both of her hands are on her hips until she pulls the cigarette from her mouth and breathes out.

I really suggest using timing to suggest the 'breathing-in' as I've done in my edit. Right now, it currently looks like she's standing up straight in a superman sort of pose for a moment when she breathes in (also has to do with her hands appearing to be on her hips and her bicep is covered almost completely by her torso when breathing in, making readability very difficult on an otherwise very nice sprite.)
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 11:21:49 am
I just wanted to comment on position of cigaret during inhale, but astraldata already created good edit of it. Only problem with this edit is that smoke comes out of her mouth right after cigaret is moved which is unrealistic. Smoker hold the smoke in his lungs for at least couple seconds. Other than that it's good. :y:

I also don't like chest movement in previous version, she is smoking not eating candy through a straw.  :crazy:

Offline FrostPumpkin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 11:38:09 am
I liked that chest animation you made. It's not realistic, and so what ? The style isn't realistic so I don't see why animation should be. Plus, at such small resolution, some exaggeration in movement helps readability.