AuthorTopic: Young pixel artist looking for critique!  (Read 10670 times)

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• Hobbist Animator + Apprentice Falconer
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile

Young pixel artist looking for critique!

on: June 30, 2014, 04:53:39 pm
Hello all! I'm a young pixel artist seeking critique and advice on my work. I have been pixeling for about a year, and would like to know if any of you have opinions on how I should proceed in progressing.

Pixels are from oldest to newest.

(my icon and favorite)

Thank you so much for looking! I look forward to hearing from you!

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Re: Young pixel artist looking for critique!

Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 05:20:14 pm
If you want to develop as an artist, broaden your efforts towards more than just one kind of animal. It would be best if you did even more than just animals! Do landscapes and humans and vehicles and little objects and all kinds of things.

Also, your colors could use a bit of work. The number of colors you use next to eachother creates an impression of noise, which can look worse than clear shapes. I'll try to pop you an edit when I get on my comp.  ;D

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 05:27:44 pm
Try focusing less on texturing, and more on form. Your latest sprites seem to be pretty heavily defined by their textures, but when you ignore the noise and look at the underlying shape a lot of it doesn't make sense. For example, the wolf next to the river has a really inconsistent lighting scheme; the torso is seemingly pillowshaded while the legs and tail are shaded as if the lightsource were coming from the left or right of the screen.

Working on pixel-fundamentals would also help. You've got a lot of jaggies in a lot of your lineart; taking the time to make sure your lines are clean and well-made before you go any further would be an extremely easy way to improve your work's quality immensely.

Also, want to show us the process by which you make your sprites? Seeing how you go about that might be helpful.

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 05:36:31 pm
Thank you both for the replies and critiques!

If you want to develop as an artist, broaden your efforts towards more than just one kind of animal. It would be best if you did even more than just animals! Do landscapes and humans and vehicles and little objects and all kinds of things.

Also, your colors could use a bit of work. The number of colors you use next to eachother creates an impression of noise, which can look worse than clear shapes. I'll try to pop you an edit when I get on my comp.  ;D
I would love to broaden my horizons as an artist, and I've been doing some humans (not pixeled, painted or cartoon mostly). Once I feel good with them I will try pixels. ^^

Keep the number of colors down, got it! So, form a pallet for shading and coloring before I actually do it? Thanks in advance for the edit as well!

Try focusing less on texturing, and more on form. Your latest sprites seem to be pretty heavily defined by their textures, but when you ignore the noise and look at the underlying shape a lot of it doesn't make sense. For example, the wolf next to the river has a really inconsistent lighting scheme; the torso is seemingly pillowshaded while the legs and tail are shaded as if the lightsource were coming from the left or right of the screen.

Working on pixel-fundamentals would also help. You've got a lot of jaggies in a lot of your lineart; taking the time to make sure your lines are clean and well-made before you go any further would be an extremely easy way to improve your work's quality immensely.

Also, want to show us the process by which you make your sprites? Seeing how you go about that might be helpful.
Okay, thanks! I'll keep that in mind. More consistent shading technique and style, then? I'll also practice on my lines.
I'll make a simple sprite and take screenshots of my process in a moment for you as well. ^^ Thank you!

Edit- Process with this simple guy.

Not exactly sure if that's what you meant, but that's basically my process.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:59:08 pm by LarkoftheRiver »

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 07:57:29 pm
That's a tutorial, you want critique righ?

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 08:00:12 pm
That was mainly a reply to Drazelic, who asked for my process when doing a sprite. I kind of turned it into a tutorial on accident (I felt the need to explain myself a bit), but yeah, critique is very welcome and I would love for your imput on my finished work and process!

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 08:08:01 pm
Ok. Your process is pretty damn complex for what you're making. I would work on creating a nice little palette from scratch beforehand, 3 to 5 colors or more (depending on subject). You can fiddle with the palette through the process, but for something like an umbreon sprite id just take those and brush it out, then refine the pixel clusters and be done. The glowing is an addition you could probably accomplish with three frames.
Also, your highlights seem to mostly be of the edge of the sprite. Try to put them where the light really would catch the most instead of just on some edges that are closest to the light source.

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 08:12:03 pm
i also didn't realize it got cut off until just now I hope I don't get penalized for that  I will definitely try the highlights with the next sprite, same with the pallet. Thanks for the input!

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 08:13:16 pm
Go back and fix mistakes to develop!

Edit,

Said that because it can get tiring to make a whole new sprite when you want to do something better. If it works for you go ahead

Also, this time do a tree or a house or something.

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 08:17:03 pm
You're still sort of relying on texture, in the sense that, in the example workflow you gave, the black color-ramp alone used like 6 colors if you include the black outlines. Try forcing yourself not to do that, working with only 3 or 4 colors and trying to achieve a cel-shaded look. Focusing just on the stomach-region of the animal, your shading seems to be almost a gradient; you're trying to shade realistically but in reality you're just picking the side of the silhouette closest to the lightsource and then generating a gradient based on what you consider the light end and dark end of the shape. Focus on form; force yourself to draw in terms of concrete lines differentiating the light sections and dark sections, instead of your current wibbly-wobbly attempts to avoid committing to discrete regions with texture and weird almost-dithering techniques.

Consider using less outlines as well. On sprites that small, an outline is a lot of space, so to speak. You can still achieve meaningful separation of regions by making them different in contrast and color, removing the need to use the blunt sledgehammer-like tool that is heavy outlining.

Generally speaking, outlines are part of the work itself, but you seem to be rendering them as if they were separate from the internal coloring- a phenomenon which seems like you're 'afraid' to touch the sacrosanct lineart. Don't be! Lineart is there to help your readability, you don't have to color 'around' the lines or anything. Consider trying some sel-out techniques or even making line-free designs.

Also, I'd recommend you not use NPA tools like luminosity or overlay layers for the moment. Practice working with pure pixel tools; by limiting your own toolset, you restrain yourself in the same way that martial artists might go about their day with training weights. When you get used to limitations, you'll suddenly find that your usage of NPA layers will go from being a crutch you leaned on to a tool that you can utilize to true effectiveness.

(Also, don't be so nervous! It's kind of obvious that you're obsessively formatting your posts and trying to look neat and professional, as if you were presenting yourself in tuxedo to some sort of highly formal event. Don't bother with that, lol. Make yourself comfortable and relax, Pixelation isn't a place with tons of in-group cliques and unspoken rules or anything like that.)