AuthorTopic: Feature 01 - Kraken Vs. Vikings  (Read 76050 times)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Feature 01 - Kraken Vs. Vikings

on: July 31, 2006, 07:21:33 am

As I'm sure you can tell, this is very much a work in progress, especially the right side of the image.  Feel free to lend any suggestions.  The waves against the boat will not be staying, so no worries there.  Mast/Sail? Oars?
----------------------------------------------
Current version:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 04:48:13 am by Indigo »

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Re: Feature 01 - Kraken Vs. Vikings

Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 07:40:10 am
I thought your work seemed kind of familiar, and that's when I realized that you made that awesome zombie picture. Anyway, let's hope this one won't take as long to perfect.

Anyway, viking ships generally have a mast with one simple sail, as well as a lower level where rowers sit, with the oars coming out of holes in the sides. Everything looks great so far.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 02:09:08 pm
Those stupid vikings, cant even face the right way to look at their foe. ;)
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Dan

• "Haha The Man"
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 02:19:46 pm
The boat it's self in the middle looks flat. You say a WIP so this may be irrelivant. By adding some knots and what not to the wood would add more detail. Also the i'm not digging the dithering on the front of the boat. Apart from that i love this. The Otopus monster is really good! Can't wait to see a finished version!
That's the way the cookie crumbles. - Do the bug bob.     - Woot!

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 03:47:13 pm
The Kraken looks fantastic reminds me a little of Pokemon  :-\.

You could make the Viking's look scared as their trying to run away from their foe :D.
Anyway I love you style. It so simple and nice. Good Job Keep it up.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 08:20:57 pm
I love it entirely. The looks of oblivious bravery on the Viking's faces are priceless, and the kraken himself is appropriately cute. I would consider leaving the waves in, as I feel they suite the piece stylistically. Something, I think, should be added to the horizon. Some clouds, maybe? I dunno...

Also, the whole hull of the boat... I think it needs to be more smoothly shaded. I didn't do a colour count, but you could (from the looks of it) add a few without to much fear of over-palette-ing... The highlight on the front and dents/scrathes/etc. honestly aren't really doing it for me, and I think it's cause there's too much contrast between the wood's midtone and its highlight.

Since I'm not longer even using real words I'll cut it off here. Sexy, sexy work. Keep it up.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 12:23:37 am
Getting any better?

*raised the water level

*added a midtone between the higlight color used on the boat and the main boat color (thanks to tremulant for the suggestion); applied new color where necessary

*changed grey used on the sky to more of a blue shad, looks better on the AA on the water.

*added third viking.

*added oars and such.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suggestion continue to be welcome.  If you feel any changes made were negative, also let me know.  Bare in mind this is still a WIP.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 05:52:23 pm by ptoing »

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 01:36:42 pm
Just noticed something: Why does everyone always make three vikings? Usually with one red being the leader.

We have it here, Kenneth has 'em, and I've seen it elsewhere several times before. Remains of Lost Vikings? They certainly added to make a viking stereotype, though the red guy is most likely the result of the only really international viking I guess. Erik the Red. Never mind, just thinking out loud.

Looks good so far, a few things to mention:

Like it's been said, the oars on viking boats came out though the hull itself, not on top. This only works on small boats because their edge is so close to the water. If you were to try and move a boat forward with an oar placed several meters above the water, it would hardly move at all and you would use most your energy just moving the oar itself rather than watermass. Of course, your boat isn't very large, the edges are still too tall for it to use oars this way and in any case the shields would get in the way ;) Making the oar come through the side would make perfect sense since you've allready got your rower in the perfect position for it. (Though usually, slaves did the rowing on larger ships, we can say it's not big enough for that.)

Next, the waves on the sides really don't work that well the way they are now. Judging from the way you've made the water around the octopus, I would think that a single, wavy line would work better, but I can't say for sure unless I see it for myself.

Lastly, the outline needs some smoothing. I'm a bit puzzled about how the Kraken only has outlines at it's edges while the vikings and some of the boat has it everywhere.

I'll leave you to it then. Looks good so far. :)

Offline MrNormS

• Rock and Roll.
    • View Profile
    • http://vitamintwo.com

Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 04:26:42 pm
Pretty clouds...  I mean I like your clouds.  cool style in general though.

Offline pixelaro

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 01:10:19 pm
Don't know if anyone has pointed it out but if the viking rows while he sits like he does now, the boat will go backwards. :P I really like the pixeling, and especially the vikings faces, love to see it finished.
:::....