AuthorTopic: How can i improve my pixel art?  (Read 2464 times)

Offline MadBunny

• View Profile

How can i improve my pixel art?

on: June 29, 2014, 03:36:16 am
Hello! First of all my english is not very good sorry.
I am new on these forums. Also, I am new to everything and anything to pixel art.
First i tried to learn Lineart and i dont know anything about shading,colors or other things.Which one should i learn first?Shading,colors or anything else?
Here is some pixel art i made (16x16).

Offline CombustibleNate

• View Profile

Re: How can i improve my pixel art?

Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 03:48:30 am
Well firstly, start saving in .gif or .png (preferably).  :P Look at your stuff, shading and lighting will be your key focus. While those sprites are very simple, you can practice on these to give them depth.

Start with a single light source and imagine it's placed in a set position. So usually the best is the light source to be at the 10'o'clock am position (top left) of the image. You don't have to draw the light source, just imagine it's there. Then shade and highlight your sprite accordingly. Check out the resource area for some guides that may explain it better. Don't over complicate it, just use three-tone highlighting and shading at first. Then you can can complicate it with more advanced techniques.

Guides such as http://www.dragonflycave.com/recoloring.aspx and the ones listed http://wayofthepixel.net/?topic=3467.0 are all helpful. Keep it simple at first and then worry about getting bigger. It's always baby steps and practice. Trust me, I am still in my early stages but I've learned techniques from research that help make my stuff look leagues better than they used to.

EDIT: Made it clearer and grammatically correct.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 03:59:36 am by CombustibleNate »

Offline MadBunny

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 03:58:42 am
Actually i uploaded them as .png and Thanks for the advice :).

Offline CombustibleNate

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 04:00:42 am
Ah, that's really weird. When I saved it, it only lets me save as a jpg. I see that now when I get the URL though. Sorry about that!

Offline MadBunny

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 04:04:15 am
No problem.Change it to .png while saving it  ;D