AuthorTopic: Tileset Advice [WIP]  (Read 2727 times)

Offline MrAnderson

• View Profile

Tileset Advice [WIP]

on: June 26, 2014, 12:49:58 am
So I've been creating a tileset for a game recently (Started yesterday) and I was wondering if anyone had any tips/advice on things that could be improved, since I'm fairly new to pixelart in general.

One thing I almost forgot to mention, the player character in the picture is placeholder, I didn't make it.

Edit:

Working again today, though I'm kinda stuck with making cliff transitions - the ones I tried make it look more like a cobbled road than a cliff with any height to it.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:00:39 pm by MrAnderson »

Offline shane.poole

• 冷静に熱くなれ
    • View Profile

Re: Tileset Advice [WIP]

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 05:05:50 am
I'm not an experienced pixel artist I'm afraid, but I can attempt to give some advice.

It is important to accentuate certain shapes in the tiles and have them work together to give a more "organic" feel. The tiles for the dirt/earth are not that bad, but the grass doesn't really give off the feel of grass. As for the trees, you need to try and create a more symmetrical balance of sorts. Right now, they kind of lob to the side and stand out more, making the duplicate trees a little more redundant/repetitive.
As for the earth fading into the grass, dithering doesn't really work well here. Try to simplify these tiles and just have tiny patches of grass move into the proper grass tiles.

I suggest you look at plenty of examples and try to emulate their styles for study, after which you can then work on your own style.

I'm afraid that's the best advice I can give since I'm also still learning. Good luck to us both!

Offline Blobber

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 09:55:28 pm
Hey man, good start. I'm no expert like some of the guys on this board either, but maybe I can give you my opinion. Firstly, the ground is too square and draws the attention immediately. The other thing is that there, I think, needs to be much more contrast. My eye struggles to separate tree from grass. The tree colors seem quite saturated, I did a quick test in MSPaint and by darkening the leaf color and reducing the saturation it was starting to look a bit better.

You may have already seen this, but if you haven't I'd suggest you take a look at this page:

http://opengameart.org/content/chapter-8-a-world-of-tiles

Good luck!

Offline MrAnderson

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 06:06:40 am
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm working on the existing stuff some more, we'll see how it turns out. I'm a bit busy with work today but I'll probably have a new version up tomorrow.

Wow, I'm really good at forums. Managed to hit the preview button instead of post and then left for work :p

Oh boy, my hard-drive went kaput and I lost all my stuff. Well, time to rip my own tiles from the picture.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:12:29 pm by MrAnderson »