AuthorTopic: [C+C] Rogue Avatars  (Read 2541 times)

Offline RedRiderX

• View Profile

[C+C] Rogue Avatars

on: June 23, 2014, 01:20:45 am

These are some default avatars I made for Dampes8n’s WIP game, Level Up: http://dampes8n.com/levelup/.

Any critique would be appreciated.

If you want to use these sprites for anything, I’ve released them under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Rogue Avatars

Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 03:57:08 am
Completely unrelated to the sprites, but fyi, Level Up! is already the name of a fairly well known game which I happen to enjoy.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/titch/level-up
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 11:46:24 am
Completely unrelated to the sprites, but fyi, Level Up! is already the name of a fairly well known game which I happen to enjoy.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/titch/level-up
How could that have happened? Next you'll tell me that Press Start and Insert Coin are also taken? :lol:
I actually remember beating that game and saving the savefile you get at the end of it, waiting for the second part... a long time ago (2009 it says) :P

RedRiderX, the pose in your avatars is too stilted. It's weird to see someone with their arms dropped down to the sides of their torso like that :blind:

The color you chose for the skin seems too pale to me (you almost can't differentiate it from the two white pixels in the eyes).
The right foot doesn't seem to have a defined shape (there is mass towards the back of it, as if it had a protruding heel)
The boots climb up towards what would be the knee (so, too tall) but I guess you did want to show tall boots
The eyebrows are just up of the eyes, like in the older Final Fantasy sprites. The difference is that they didn't have the resolution you're using to work, so I would consider separating them (but it doesn't look too bad like they are right now)
There are shading inconsistencies: you have lighting in the back of the legs, but shading at the top of the head (or at least that's what the darker lines at the top convey to me)

Hope this helps :y:

Offline RedRiderX

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 02:57:18 am
RedRiderX, the pose in your avatars is too stilted. It's weird to see someone with their arms dropped down to the sides of their torso like that :blind:

The color you chose for the skin seems too pale to me (you almost can't differentiate it from the two white pixels in the eyes).
The right foot doesn't seem to have a defined shape (there is mass towards the back of it, as if it had a protruding heel)
The boots climb up towards what would be the knee (so, too tall) but I guess you did want to show tall boots
The eyebrows are just up of the eyes, like in the older Final Fantasy sprites. The difference is that they didn't have the resolution you're using to work, so I would consider separating them (but it doesn't look too bad like they are right now)
There are shading inconsistencies: you have lighting in the back of the legs, but shading at the top of the head (or at least that's what the darker lines at the top convey to me)

Hope this helps :y:

Thanks for the feedback!

The pose could definitely use some work, it really isn't much of action pose at all I admit :P

One thing I probably should have mentioned in the OP is that one of the requirements I had was that these sprites conform to the NES' color palette, and that they try and keep to the general feel of NES era sprites (FF1, Dragon Quest). That was one of the reasons I was trying to give the sprites a bit more of a chibi feeling despite the larger sprite size I'm working with.

The agree the skin tone could use some work, for the general costume I was using this as a starting point: http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/c3/4d/24/c34d2447a6a4dbf79df0e1082060ac4a.jpg so I ended up going pretty light on the skin tone I guess :blind:

The heel of the right foot was me trying to make the silhouette of the sprite a little more interesting, but I'm not sure how well it worked.

I also freely admit I'm not quite sure what I should be doing when it comes to hair highlights, I'll have to do a bit more research on some good techniques for that.