AuthorTopic: Challenge WIP  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Motrox

• g
    • View Profile

Challenge WIP

on: June 25, 2014, 08:48:01 pm

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to fit the required blue and green in. Some people suggesting doing a waterfall or a cavern but I'm not sure how to execute it well.
If someone could give me an edit or suggestions that would be great  :D

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Re: Challenge WIP

Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 09:22:17 pm
EDIT -- I know it's a tough challenge but don't give up!

I originally answered your question, but I did it on autopilot lol. However, I'd rather not spoil the challenge for you. Only click that spoiler if you really just cannot come up with a better way. It's not a challenge if I give you the answer on how to be creative with color usage. You'll still not know how to do it next time you need it.

So one final hint BEFORE you click that spoiler!!

Color reuse can be considered for warm/cool places as well as values/intensities. The mountains in this are closest to cool, and the sky is closest to warm. Decide which of the remaining palette entries is closest to warm and cool to determine where you can use them in the image. I would suggest also considering that light doesn't just come from above -- refracted-light / back-lighting / ambient-light can also light up things in the shadows too.

Blue for back lighting on the bottom portions of the mountains, and green for highlighting the ridges around the sunlight.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:34:57 pm by astraldata »
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 09:30:16 pm

The light green is obvious. Just make water in front of the mountain.

The blue is tricky because it doesn't fit your scene much. Either use it around the mountain edges, or put a zepplin in the sky with blue on it, or something. Alternatively just make enough cloud cover somewhere that blue eventually shines through again, or just stick in blue clouds and make your sunset less cloudy and more the horizon.

Or just use both colours for water.
* may contain misinformation

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 09:42:28 pm
Well... I'm not sure this is going to look natural either way. I mean, the sky (and thus, all the light shining on the landscape) is yellow, red and orange.

If you draw water, I think you're doing the rookie mistake of just painting water blue because water is "supposed" to be blue, as opposed to painting the water dark green, orange and red because it reflects its surroundings (most importantly, the sky).

I was going to suggest drawing else entirely, like a blue person or machine or whatever else. But even then... if you shine a yellow / orange light at something blue, what colour will it be? Will your eyes perceive it as bright blue, from a distance?

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 12:19:13 am
I overused the blue a bit, but it still gives some idea of what I was trying to explain:

Rivers and a waterfall here and there work too -- you could even use the mountain highlight color to define trees instead, with the river meandering through there. I decided to show off how else these two colors could be used rather than take the easy road out.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Motrox

• g
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 01:10:44 am
Thanks for the suggestions!

Here's where I am.
Instead of a river I was thinking more of a trail.
Anything I could fix on it?

Offline Motrox

• g
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 03:40:57 am
Done  ;D

Thanks for the help.