AuthorTopic: Pro Motion tile tools  (Read 3105 times)

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Pro Motion tile tools

on: August 22, 2014, 11:54:19 pm
Ive been making lots of tiles in GG for my game, and ive heard that Pro Motion is the way forward with that. I was wondering if anyone who uses Pro Motion could tell me the nifty tricks it has with regards to tiles? One thing i was wondering in particular was whether it can separate a full image into tiles, and perhaps even reduce it down to unique tiles.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Pro Motion tile tools

Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 08:18:15 pm
You can load any image and make it into tiles, yes. Given the width and height of your image is a multiple of the width and height of your tiles.

What do you mean by "reduce down to unique tiles"?
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 08:30:45 pm
Probo didn't realize that when converting from image to tiles+map, the program "of course" merges duplicates.
The official presentation seems rather helpful: http://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/docs/onlinehelp/tileMappingPrimer.htm
The most powerful feature is the Sync mode, where you draw (at pixel level) on the map, and your changes get repeated on every instance of the tile that you're touching.

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 09:22:14 pm
yeah thats what i meant. I like to draw out the level in GG, keeping the tiles in mind with a grid, itd be nice to have a program that could just produce a tile sheet from these pictures and drop all the duplicate tiles automatically. thatll save a lot of work. then i can assemble the levels like a jigsaw in GM!

thanks for the replies and the link, Ill be buying this!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 09:54:08 pm
You don't even have to assemble stuff in GM, PM can export a textfile which corresponds to the tilemap. So you could write a little importer thing which reads out those files. That would save even more time.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 10:11:09 pm
hmm thats interesting indeed, thanks. Ive also had my eye on a standalone map editor for GM that someone on the GMC forums programmed, that lets you organise objects and tiles much easier than in GMs basic room editor (doesnt even have a marquee selection tool!!! :O )