AuthorTopic: Help with my 8bit style game  (Read 7274 times)

Offline shane.poole

• 冷静に熱くなれ
    • View Profile

Help with my 8bit style game

on: June 23, 2014, 01:58:35 pm
EDIT: I'll be sharing more than just mock-ups from now on.
Hey guys. I've been trying to improve my pixel art skills and I'm learning how to program in C# recently, so I decided to make a mock-up. However, I feel that this mock-up needs a lot of work... If you can give me any advice, it would be much appreciated!

I'm trying to go for an evil, unsettling, yet tranquil feel with this mock-up. I realise that I'm not keeping within the NES restrictions well, but that's okay. I'm giving myself a little bit more freedom with this project.

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 04:42:59 am by shane.poole »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: 8-bit mock-up for game

Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 09:33:29 pm
I like this!

Some problems I see:
The black outlines are overwhelming, they bring down readability in the sprites, mostly the small one.
The bg is as or more saturated than the fg, hinders perception of depth (although I like the colors).
The skyline (left half) and the ground tiles are too busy/noisy. I like the tiles textures but I'd insert some quieter tiles for eye rest.

Offline FrostPumpkin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 09:44:57 pm
I like this too, very charming !
The things that doesn't seem to work for me are the small dithering parts you made on the tree, try keeping it plane for the shadows.
Also, I had to observe it for like 5 minutes before realizing these were brains at the end of the branches. I thought there were like big fruits or something.
I really really like the mechanic 16x16 tiles, you can make a few 32x32 blocks for some variety as well

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 10:15:00 pm
Yes, this is actually pretty good, in fact, except for some random hidden colors, the assets are pretty much fine. In some cases, sprite overlays would be added to give the main character one or two extra colors ( I think megaman does this?)

Your tiles only use 3 colors, when they could actually use 4 ( always including black as the background color). Go for more variation in the tiles- you could easily create a tileset that would allow for these meta squares to be 8x8, 16x16, 24x24, and 32x32. Additionally, you could create some variations that would allow you to make some fall into darkness more than others to break up the space and busyness.

I played around with the tiles, lowering their brightness and saturation while giving the character more. Embrace the restrictions, I think you will find that you actually create more interesting aesthetic choices when under the pressure of them.

Offline shane.poole

• 冷静に熱くなれ
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 12:13:17 pm
That's some great advice, thanks guys!

@Manupix - You're definitely right about the depth perception problem. I'll do something about this. Thanks!

@FrostPumpkin - Those are actually big fruits, but I kind of made them look like brains for reasons that are related to the story behind the tree. In later iterations, I will definitely improve it. Thanks!

@Ryumaru - I didn't want to make the character's skin too light for certain reasons, but I'll play around with more colours to make him stand out more. I may add some more colours, too. As for the pic you posted, what you did with the fruits definitely looks more what I was trying to go for. Grotesque and kinda gross. As for the desaturated tiles, looks rad. I'll play around a bit more and post an update in this thread later this week.

I may post some animations of the character as well, so if you guys are interested, please check back and crit my work!

Thanks guys!

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 12:37:56 pm
This is amazing and I love it. :y:

Disagree with the point about black outlines. They are usually a beginner's artifact, but they look great in lo-fi contexts like this.
The complexity of the floor (greebliness, as Arne would say) is ok as long as it's contained in an easily-approachable shape (a big long rectangle). The 'big chunks' that Ryumaru introduced add to the variation that I find pleasing.

Love the colors (both yours (hot pink) and Ryumaru's (more balanced)), the composition, and the concept.
From the OP I assume you are going to make something with this, and I approve whole-heartedly :lol:

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 01:31:16 pm
Really really love it. 
Do think the 2x size blocks work well, and darkening the white blocks makes sense too, though prefer the original palette for the most part. 

Also disagree on the comment about the outlines.  Obviously a huge part of the style and it's charm, and wouldn't look like sumi-e without them. 

Really wish I could see this on a messy CRT TV through the eyes of a 10 year-old with no cultural knowledge of Japanese art. 

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 08:25:20 am
To clarify my outlines comment: I didn't mean there shouldn't be any or they shouldn't be black, I mean there's too much of them, locally, for readability. The character lower half; some parts of the boss such as the face on the lower trunk.

Offline shane.poole

• 冷静に熱くなれ
    • View Profile

Re: Help with my 8bit style game

Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 04:52:26 am
Here's a running animation of the character:

And a 1x size one just in case:

I changed his skin to a kind of odd yellowish colour. This has to do with the story that I have in mind, I'm not implying that East Asian people are yellow! (Which would be ridiculous!)
In the beginning of the game, he's skin colour will look "normal" and it will gradually change along with the rest of his body or (potentially) clothes. I'll keep the rest a secret for now.

I'm having some trouble with this animation as I'm simply not satisfied with it. If you guys can give me any pointers, it would be much appreciated!

I'll probably upload another mockup/screenshot in the next coming days, after I have implemented a tilemap system into my game.

As we say here in Japan, Yoroshiku!

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: Help with my 8bit style game

Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 05:17:09 am
Quote from: shane.poole

And a 1x size one just in case:

IMO, he looks more like he's power walking rather than running.

His body should be leaning forward a bit more and the ponytail should be going up and down rather than idle to forward.
Also, I feel like there's too many frames if that makes sense.  It's slow for a run.