AuthorTopic: Landscape WIP  (Read 4180 times)

Offline Geoglatico

• View Profile

Landscape WIP

on: June 20, 2014, 08:10:37 pm
Hello guys, I'm trying to do a landscape. A man looking at the sky, and beside this man a tree ..
I think I'm doing well, but some things I don't like, such as shading, and the sun's rays.

I need you to help me with tips to improve!

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Landscape WIP

Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 08:54:00 pm
This is a really great start.

Now, sun rays usually appear when there's a lot of clouds, and there's just a few holes where sunlight breaks through the clouds. So compared to the dark background, the air illuminated by the sun looks brighter. And of course, there needs to be some particles in the air to catch the sunlight, so it's more likely to happen when there's a lot of moisture or dust in the air.

On such a bright and sunny day, with relatively few clouds, you don't usually see sunrays like this, I think, because everything is fairly bright anyway, and there's not enough contrast. I mean, if that cloud wasn't in front of the sun, you still wouldn't paint the sky as bright as the sunrays, probably.

Maybe I'm wrong though. Google 'sunrays', look at some pictures and see if you disagree with me.

Offline Geoglatico

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 10:25:02 pm
In fact, it is not a beginning, come already editing and trying to improve this pixel art for a while.

It is true, had not noticed it before. I made an edit, see if you think it has improved ...

What about the character you think is well done?

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 10:30:30 pm
i like the character. it looks a little 'disconnected' from the tree, if you know what i mean. he seems to fall backwards.
i am curious, what is your first language?

Offline Geoglatico

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 10:52:32 pm
Thanks, the intention is that a man leaning against the tree ..
I am Brazilian, I speak Portuguese, if that was what you wanted to know

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 10:17:25 pm
Instant dejavu

Offline Geoglatico

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 08:06:09 am
Well, I posted this Wip in the Pixel joint also, and @A3um helped me a lot with that he did. I changed so much now, I think I'm ending.
And I'm in doubt about the Sun, perhaps without the sun's rays get better ...

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 01:02:00 pm
I still think the character looks like he is falling over to the right. I would bring him upright more.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 09:47:37 pm
I still think the character looks like he is falling over to the right. I would bring him upright more.
This.

Colors: your present palette is made of 3 disconnected color ramps: you should try to integrate them into a single, organic palette, as explained here.

Also forget the 'grass is green - trunk is brown - sky is blue' mindset: it's just no true.

Sunrays: the problem is how to let them gradually fade out in a nice way. I don't think pixels can do that :(

Offline Kosvid

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 05:00:46 am
Well, I posted this Wip in the Pixel joint also, and @A3um helped me a lot with that he did. I changed so much now, I think I'm ending.
And I'm in doubt about the Sun, perhaps without the sun's rays get better ...

I`ve found some good references with clouds and sunrays for you. Here are two conclusions I made looking at these photos:
1. Rays are quite possible, but they bust be everywhere where is no cloud, not like.. ugh.. beams?.. Well, not like beams in directions which drawn stars have.
2. The cloud in front of the sun must be way brighter. It looks too thin to be able to block such a powerful lightsource without changing its colours.