AuthorTopic: Animation help?  (Read 4434 times)

Offline L-rM

• View Profile

Animation help?

on: June 20, 2014, 07:32:45 pm
Hey guys, so I've been working on a character for a sprite sheet. If any of you follow Naruto, it's Obito. I won't spoil anything if you havent seen/read it, but theres a lot of spriting practice I can get with it, so it seemed like a good project.
Here's what I have done animation wise.

I feel pretty confident about the run, but I honestly have no idea what to do for the idle. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Oh, btw if you want the original sprite,
Again, thanks so much.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: Animation help?

Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 09:04:37 am
Nice sprite, although a bit noisy (pants, hair). I'd advise max clarity!

The run is kinda messy, looks like he's got 3 legs, and there's no visible distinction between his right and left legs (it's essential to make them look as different as possible via shading and/or contrast).
6 frames is unusual for a walk/run, although I've recently seen a very convincing example (was it on this forum?).
You should stick to the classic 4 or 8 frames. Check this tuto.

Idle anims generally breathe, pant, flex. I tend to prefer a gentle breathing.
That's a lot of wind you got there! Again, it looks somewhat noisy in the pants.

Offline L-rM

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 06:02:39 pm
Thanks so much, I can't do much about it at the moment as I'm on my phone. But when I get home I'll mess with it, the style this is in has a uusually noisy shading technique. I don't know if or how much of it you've seen but JUS(Jump ultimate Stars) again, I'll rework the run and my main question is that I don't really know how to go about a breathing animation or any for the idle. If you could find a good reference it'd be greatly appreciated, I couldn't seem to find one.

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 07:08:38 pm
I'm bad at explaining anything so let's just get to it  :blind:

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 07:41:49 pm by Batzy »

Offline L-rM

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 09:13:43 pm
I'm bad at explaining anything so let's just get to it  :blind:

thanks for the edit but I think it's the same kind of problem, the noise and hair are "supposed" to be like that, I put quotations because they could use work but in your edit you lost the style the sprite is shaded in.
http://spritedatabase.net/game/2
This game.

Offline HezaKey

• *draws furiously*
    • hezakey
    • hezakey
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 09:43:45 pm

You are putting too much effort into your shading.  Since the scale is so small, single pixels don't amount to much, so trying to do nuanced shading just amounts to a bunch of static.

You have to simplify the light and get it down to it's most basic aspects.  Broad shapes of light and shadow, and well placed core shadows and highlights.

You don't have a lot of space to work with, so you want to have the readability of the image to be really high.  Be spare with your colors, and try to use as few as possible.  It's easier to add that reduce.

What if for an idle animation he was sort of shifting side to side with his knees bent, keeping his hands moving, alert and waiting for a fight.
Or he could do some leg stretches, that might be neat too.

Offline L-rM

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 02:42:36 am

You are putting too much effort into your shading.  Since the scale is so small, single pixels don't amount to much, so trying to do nuanced shading just amounts to a bunch of static.

You have to simplify the light and get it down to it's most basic aspects.  Broad shapes of light and shadow, and well placed core shadows and highlights.

You don't have a lot of space to work with, so you want to have the readability of the image to be really high.  Be spare with your colors, and try to use as few as possible.  It's easier to add that reduce.

What if for an idle animation he was sort of shifting side to side with his knees bent, keeping his hands moving, alert and waiting for a fight.
Or he could do some leg stretches, that might be neat too.
Thanks for the suggestions, but again, the shading style requires three shades per color, with slight modifications. Thats why I did what I could, with what requirement I could reach. The sprite and the shading is really not what I was asking, I was asking more for animation, and thank you for the suggestions, I'll attempt the stretching as it caught my eye.