AuthorTopic: platformer puzzle  (Read 4095 times)

Offline ariyan

• View Profile

platformer puzzle

on: June 12, 2014, 01:43:09 pm
hi guys this is my sprite for a platformer puzzle kinda game and im new to pixelart , to drawing in fact   :)
first i wanted to hear your guys opinion on it and second im having trouble animating it .she is a archer and there is going to be alot of hand movements , could it be difficult because of form of clothing ?
 i dono ... anyways thanks alot  :P
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 04:12:44 pm by ariyan »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: platformer puzzle

Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 09:00:47 pm
I just want to say that I like this, this character has personality and is nicely drawn and pixeled. Good job esp for a beginner! (I doubt that haha)
I can't really give advice because I'm no spriter and never worked on a game.
It might be large for a sprite and a bit complex to animate, though.
Post whatever anim you may have, it's not easy to give specific feedback if we don't see stuff!

Offline ariyan

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 09:00:31 pm
Thanks a lot for your feedback, I'm glad you liked it :D
About animations, I have been struggling with characters shooting animation and I've got to say the result is not something worth showing.
I couldn't decide to make the character more simpler for animation purposes or wait and improve my animating skills.

Anyway... here is somthing ive done for characters IDL and it would be nice to hear ur opinion on it  ;D

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 01:40:52 pm
Ha, problems arise!

The head turning looks good although kind of rigid, might be a style thing to go with the pixeling (and also make things easier for you).
But the head can't turn without any torso movement, and down to the feet actually (or at least pelvis to remain simple!).
Idle anims usually breathe, I don't think you can do without at this scale.
The fabric hanging is the worst: front and back should not move at exactly the same time, and mostly you can't reuse frames or pixels in the up and down moves: fabric moves with a delay, without it it's not fluid.
Impossibly good reference:

Also never shy from redrawing whole frames when animating people. Long and tedious work ;)

Offline ariyan

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 06:15:59 pm
wow ... really really good reference , a master's work
i have to agree , at this scale it needs something more realistic, from body move wise to how the fabric moves .
i tried to shape her with half the scale it is right now , but as you know its much harder to give her character at smaller scales

so i should start to study how the fabric moves , and animate it from scratch then :P
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:51:21 pm by ariyan »

Offline Neo Berserker

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 02:27:31 am
Hi ariyan, I actually like the scaled down version better, besides It is easier to work on smaller resolutions and since you are considering animating it'll also cut alot of the work, but if you like the bigger version more go for it, this is all kinda subjective. I did a small edit on the small one anyhow, maybe it'll help?

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 02:05:51 am
Hi ariyan, I actually like the scaled down version better, besides It is easier to work on smaller resolutions and since you are considering animating it'll also cut alot of the work, but if you like the bigger version more go for it, this is all kinda subjective. I did a small edit on the small one anyhow, maybe it'll help?

>tfw no qt3.14 pixel gf

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 11:20:12 am
>tfw no qt3.14 pixel gf
:huh: :huh: :huh: Thanks to Google for translating this.  :D

I agree with Neo Berserker, smaller version is better. But somehow I like clothing on the first version more.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 04:58:14 am
The scaled down version with the brown jacket does indeed look better and has a lot more character imo than the larger one, despite the larger one having more detail.

The reason it has more 'character' is because much is left to the imagination visually while the body language and accessories that stand out despite the small size tell you a lot, symbolically, about the specific personality of the character. In this case, I get a feeling of relaxed and carefree from your character with a believable but interesting style choice in clothing, who is also pragmatic and prepared (thanks to the presence of the backpack). A somewhat typical adventurer, but still very believable, thus potentially memorable.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/