AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] platform game  (Read 5792 times)

Offline ioji

• View Profile

[WIP][C+C] platform game

on: June 18, 2014, 10:09:41 pm
Hi guys!
I'm working on a small game (first time I do pixel art) and I'd like some feedback on the character sprites, before I try to animate them.
The game is a 2d platform set in a fantasy world (I know at the moment the clothes don't look very medieval...).
I tried to go for small sprites (about 32x32 or slightly more) that look good when zoomed in and leave space for facial expressions.
Later I'll add armor, sword and shield that can be equipped ;D

Here's the main character:

I tried to give him an S shape to make it more interesting. Legs are really short for cute factor, but I'm worried it's going to be complicated to animate them...

Some variations on the base model and a girl with a kimono:

Any tips or ideas?

Thank you for your time and for your advices! :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 11:29:09 am by ioji »

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Re: [WIP][C+C] character sprite

Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 11:29:37 pm
One thing they could definitely use.. more contrast.
Got rid of one color on the hair too since you couldn't really see it anyway:

Offline Amorphous

• AmorphousPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43158.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 11:56:35 pm
I like the simplicity, and this has lots of potential!

|||| beat me to it, but I made a quick edit as well. Besides the contrast and extra colors, the stance was a little awkward to my eye. The s-shape is hard to accomplish at this scale and doesn't add much -- it's up to you, of course, but consider making him stand straighter. :) Other things I just fooled around with, like the legs and hair.

Good luck!

Offline ioji

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 03:31:00 pm
Ok, I've tried some variations on the main character:

1 - old version
2 - more contrast, slightly straighter pose, different hair (trying to make it look like flames to communicate his determination  :) )
3 - detailed clothes, more medieval... ish
4 - even more contrast
5 - black lines

I think I prefer the third one, even if it looses some of the simplicity of the second. What do you think?

I've also tried animating it. Here's a walk:

And here I tried to rotate the head/body a little. I don't like how it came out...

I'm also thinking of adding some frames to make it smoother...

Here are some facial expressions:

And here's the walk in game:

Thoughts? ;D Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 05:38:31 pm by ioji »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 12:56:44 pm
Imho, what you mostly miss is vertical movement.
Your head doesn't turn when you're walking. Your shoulders do, and so do hips, usually in the opposite way.
His arm seem to shrink when un-bent, too, and his hands are surprisingly changing size.

Offline ioji

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 08:35:17 am
Update! :)
I've added vertical movement and more frames. What do you think? Better?

Here's a jump animation:

And updated facial expressions:

I think I'll separate the face from the rest of the sprite, for more flexibility (talk while running, etc.)
Also I'm thinking of a way of adding armor without losing the character's appearance. Maybe a magical bubble around him?  ;D
Thanks for the advices!

P.S. should I post this in the animation board or can I continue here?

|| Here's an update... I've been working a lot on the character's sprite, here's the progress:

Better? :)

mod:merged unnecessary doublepost
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 09:18:47 pm by Grimsane »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 09:14:26 pm
liking the effort and revision going into these,
the new contrast looks pretty spiffy, but I'd advise you to simplify the details and color count to make your life easier in the long run, and also because it's all that is necessary.
Animations are improving a lot too, with the jump is it vertical or diagonal? maybe have the upward eye dart diagonal up-forward instead of straight up.

keep it up.

if you specifically want more poignant crits on your animation by all means start an animation thread :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 09:18:11 pm by Grimsane »

Offline ioji

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] my new game

Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 11:28:29 am
Thanks for the advice :D
I don't plan on having a very limited palette and the game will be always viewed zoomed in (2x or 3x), so I went for something more detailed. I like your version though... now I'm in doubt especially about the nose (I like your button one) and the hand (in yours the thumb is visible). I'll keep working on it!
The jump can be in all directions, at the moment I have only those two frames... I should add more. Yep, I'll modify the eye.

Here's a mockup of how the game would look. It's still a work in progress: some shapes need to be refined, the bushes are now just a copy of the tree (I'll remake them), the left tree is resized from the other, the background is not final...
It gives an idea of this level's colour palette. Do the important elements stick out enough? I was going for something like Metal Slug in terms of perspective and details. Some background sprites will be repeated.

Offline oxysoft

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] platform game

Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 12:17:50 pm
Perhaps you should tone down the contrast in the background because it clashes a bit with the game components (player and platforms) and would probably make it harder to follow what's going on

Offline dustinaux

• View Profile
    • dustinauxier.com

Re: [WIP][C+C] platform game

Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 12:22:57 pm
In terms of brightness, contrast, and saturation the trees look basically the same as the foreground elements, which you wouldn't want.  There's several options to fix this, and the solutions usually a combination of some things.  I'd go with desaturating and darkening the background elements just a bit, and maybe giving the foreground elements a stronger outline, to give a suggestion.  Also the rock platforms look like they should just be in a cave and not there, but maybe that's the plan for them since it's just a mockup?
Currently making The Enchanted Cave 2