AuthorTopic: The Incredible Baron  (Read 5553 times)

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

The Incredible Baron

on: September 14, 2012, 01:18:28 am
Hay gang, decided to poke my head in and post some stuff I have been working on for the last year. In between my real job, I have been doing pixel art for a mobile game we are hoping to release. I have always admired the skilled artists on this site, many of you better than I could be, but I think things have turned out pretty well.

We have a video and some screenshots here http://www.saltvalleytally.com/campaign/detail/262 (shameless self promotion blah blah: You can vote for the project, too :P)

But here's why you came to this thread... Pixel art! I have done a ton of artwork so I am not going to post everything, but I'll post some choice stuff for now and I can upload more later if you're interested.

And since this site is about criticism and critiques, that is always welcome too.

Some of the Buildings

Units

Some of the tiles used to make one map

If you have any comments or suggestions I'd love to hear them. Especially colour or about terrain and foliage... never my strong suit. Thanks, gang.
Glub Glub!

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: The Incredible Baron

Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 07:30:01 am
very pleasing. I love the creativity in those monsters, too :)

Maybe your pirate ship could use some AA, esp. on those places where the highlight of the wood is just next to a shadow, especially when planks are only slightly oblique.

There's something a bit odd with the hammer-barrel attack animation.

I don't quite get why you decided to change the orientation of the hammer (compared to the walk animation), but it feels like the hammer is rather using its side to attack.

The game looks nice, btw.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 08:25:31 am
Looks really beautiful and inspiring dude! 

Few things that stand out:

Lava not glowing or giving off any light, would definitely use some tile variations on the rocks around it, if possible.

Clouds in the foreground look very weird (they look very small and opaque).  Would probably ditch them completely, but other wise use a much larger graphic, maybe something like this (which is actually drawn for the background, but could work in FG as long as it's never allowed too high up):

Ropes on the rope bridge look a bit lax, but the bridge is tort. If your engine can handle slopes, I'd probably use a couple extra tiles at each end to have a bit of droop.  I actually struggled with a similar rope bridge a couple of days ago.   :lol: 

Keep up the good work

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 10:53:39 am
Clouds in the foreground look very weird (they look very small and opaque).

Yup.

Unless the clouds are actually about the size of the sprites there, that would be impossible from this perspective, seeing as the characters would be behind the clouds. They do look very nice in the background though. On top of them not working out perspective-wise, they also serve to clutter the foreground a great deal.

Although I think the clouds in the back look very beautiful the way they are now, I can't help but feel the background is also a bit plain. This is not a bad thing really from a gameplay perspective, but I don't think it would hurt to add a little more. I think a nice idea would be to add some other islands in the back as well, behind/within the clouds. (If that makes sense in your game's world.)

As for color, I think your ground tiles (actually, most of them in general) are quite contrasty, and should be toned down a little, maybe. Your characters might get lost.

And consider adding some extra transition tiles in the ground over the sides, such as from the grass to the dirt. The change is abrupt right now. There should at least be a shadow there, I think. (And if you're going in the route of removing the foreground clouds, some extra detail tiles to make that area underneath the actual walkable area look somewhat interesting - but not distracting.)

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 03:44:25 am
A lot of the restrictions are related to the tilesheet and how much memory we have available. I did chop up the clouds as much of them were redundant and I will be doing a foreground specific set of clouds with alpha transparency... they can be used for steam, clouds, and fog!

Any examples for what a desaturated tileset might look like?
Glub Glub!

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 05:39:25 am
Super bump, kids!

It only took me three years after this post to finish the game.

Apple
Android
Windows 8/10

The game is pretty fun and the artwork turned out OK. The tileset is a bit patchworky and could definitely stand to be optimized with more unique features. The colours are kinda vibrant and make it hard to distinguish characters sometimes. I really wanted to focus on animations in this project and I think there are some that really stand out... (just a couple I liked)

If I work on another game, I want to focus on colour choice primarily... I think it's the weakest element of my work. I'll make sure to have mockups critiqued on this board before I go forward :P

So... 2020 I will be posting my next completed work?  In all seriousness I hope it wouldn't take that long... but it's really hard trying to work full time AND spend countless hours illustrating. Anyone else on the boards have this problem?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 05:50:04 am by Scuba Steve »
Glub Glub!

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 08:03:28 am
Damn, wanted to try it out as it looks beautiful, but couldn't on my Android HTC One X. It seemed like the game didn't fit inside the 1280x720 resolution that my phone has, and it went out of the screen borders. And when pressing New Game nothing happened the text just turned white and there was nothing else to do, no button or anything, as they were probably outside of the screen because of the resolution issues.

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 12:29:37 pm
When I looked at this post i was like: omg amazing
then I realised I read the 3 years old part haha xD

Then I looked at the current post and I was like: omg this is helping me so much as I need to learn how to make a walking cycle in only 4 frames
Then I saw the link ,downloaded (on Windows) and played it:

Amazing!
It had lots of fun! I don't really play single player games , but I still recommend to take a look at it! It looks awesome, it sounds awesome, I like the characters and most importantly it is fun!
Amazing work you guys made there! (this game demo was just amazing hahaha, didn't expect that) :D 
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline transilience

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 12:23:27 am
work full time AND spend countless hours illustrating. Anyone else on the boards have this problem?

yes, this is the biggest problem i have, compounded with laziness and it's a nasty cycle

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 11:58:10 pm
work full time AND spend countless hours illustrating. Anyone else on the boards have this problem?

yes, this is the biggest problem i have, compounded with laziness and it's a nasty cycle
ditto  :yell: