AuthorTopic: [C+C] Witch Sprite  (Read 8447 times)

Offline Azuyre

• ryuzach
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] Witch Sprite

Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 12:56:08 am
Hopefully it's alright to bump this since I've got a bit of an update. Anyway, while working on animations I realized there wasn't a lot of room to work with due to size so I thought I'd try something a bit different.

I ended up making a bigger version of the sprite, going from 18x32 to 25x47. I haven't been able to work on it too much but I think it's coming along well, I probably need to work on the rim of the hat a bit more though.

I'm not sure which size I'll use yet, but I do really like that I can show a lot more emotion with the larger one.

I'll probably work a bit more on animations for now and see if the larger sprite helps any, let me know what you guys think. :)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 01:02:21 am
The bigger size is fun, but it'll require some work to look as good as the little one.

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 09:19:15 am
I couldn't help but make an animation:

I hope it can be helpful for your project.

I didn't animate the hat on purpose.

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 09:59:06 am
Nice animation.

Myeah, this larger witch is much more work, but indeed all those extra yummy pixels to work with.

Important things:
She looked like she was leaning back, so I changed that. (Does she have a name, btw?)
I saw the opportunity to make her hand bigger to give her more character!
Extra space inside the crystal ball means you can put little cues as to which spell is currently selected (here is what I imagine teleport would look like) without adding much extra work or confusion.

I only just thought of this now, but that also means you can probably add a staff quite easily.

Unimportant stuff:
This is how I had imagined her clothing looked when she was smaller.

Keep up the good work!

EDIT:
Almost forgot to mention - those faces are frikken awesome! So much emotion, I love it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:25:15 am by Ambivorous »
* may contain misinformation

Offline Azuyre

• ryuzach
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 09:33:51 pm
I couldn't help but make an animation:

I hope it can be helpful for your project.

I didn't animate the hat on purpose.
That looks pretty awesome :D It'll make a great reference to look at when I make an idle animation, I really like how the hair moves.

Myeah, this larger witch is much more work, but indeed all those extra yummy pixels to work with.

Important things:
She looked like she was leaning back, so I changed that. (Does she have a name, btw?)
I saw the opportunity to make her hand bigger to give her more character!
Extra space inside the crystal ball means you can put little cues as to which spell is currently selected (here is what I imagine teleport would look like) without adding much extra work or confusion.

I only just thought of this now, but that also means you can probably add a staff quite easily.

Unimportant stuff:
This is how I had imagined her clothing looked when she was smaller.

Keep up the good work!

EDIT:
Almost forgot to mention - those faces are frikken awesome! So much emotion, I love it.
Yeah, it'll definitely be a bit more work, but I think the upsides make it worth the effort. It's a good chance for me to improve too. :)

Anyway, you fixed a bunch of issues I was having! I couldn't find a good way to get the part on her shoulders to look right, that's why I tried the bandanna as an alternative, though the green felt a bit out of place and I had been trying to find another solution. I went back over the sprites based on your changes and ended up with this:

The first is the original for comparison, the second and third are the new ones, but the second has a small change to the legs/feet that I was trying out. I also tried out a new version of the orb with your idea of having the symbol inside of it, it seems like it could work pretty well along with color changes for the orb.

Glad to hear that you liked the emotions by the way! :D Speaking of which, as soon as I finished them and looked them over the name Cynthia popped into my head so I've just been going with that for now.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 09:40:30 pm
Looks much more clear with the larger character, and the visual style is nice too -- a lot cleaner.

I think the smaller one could work too, but the head-to-body ratio of the larger one is better -- the smaller version makes her look very bloated and sort of portly.

I think that if you increased the size of the head on the smaller version a little, it wouldn't look bad at all -- a hybrid between emotional expression and ease of animation development. Maybe try shrinking the larger head down a bit.

Here's my interpretation of it:

I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/