AuthorTopic: [C+C] A game logo, sprites, and item icons  (Read 2838 times)

Offline dustinaux

• View Profile
    • dustinauxier.com

[C+C] A game logo, sprites, and item icons

on: June 15, 2014, 11:09:53 pm
Here are some pieces for an RPG I'm working on, The Enchanted Cave 2.  Any comments and criticism are welcome since I have a lot of art to do in the game and am just looking to improve as much as I can early on so I won't have to do over too many old ugly pieces. :)

Straw Hat, Butter Knife, Kitchen Knife
Cloth Shirt, Cloth Tunic, Leather Vest

A WIP of the inventory in-game to see how the item icons are used
Currently making The Enchanted Cave 2

Offline HezaKey

• *draws furiously*
    • hezakey
    • hezakey
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] A game logo, sprites, and item icons

Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 11:39:13 pm
My initial observation is that your title image has very 3D letters, but flat as a pancake boards.  Seeing the sides of the boards would really sell the whole image better I think.
Since you already have them rounded, I'd do the left and right sides, as if the boards were curved instead of flat.  But seeing any edge to suggest perspective would be good.

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 12:00:40 pm
I enjoyed the first one by the way, when it came out and more recently again on my phone.

The logo looks great.

Some aspects of the items could be improved a bit. Most noticeably, the hat looks very flat. I don't think the lighting is correct, and there isn't enough contrast. I think the dark outline is also hindering it as it looks like a shadow around the whole thing. The dithering could possibly be tones down a bit.

The cloak looks nice in places, but the form as a whole seems to get lost. For example, I can see the shape of each arm, with the light source being up and left, but in the piece as a whole the torso does not cause any shadow on the right arm, and seems to have a more frontal light source. This gives the effect that the arms are too far forward. There are also some rough edges and banding in places, and also some colors that are far too similar that could probably just be one color, such as the two darkest colors.

The jacket has some similar issues. Too many colors, and a bland frontal light source.

As well as fixing these technical issues, it might be worth trying a different perspective on items such as the cloak and jacket.

All the best.

Offline dustinaux

• View Profile
    • dustinauxier.com

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 11:30:49 pm
Thanks a lot for the comments!  I think some more perspective on stuff really helped out.

Here are my edits:

And also a running guy:
Currently making The Enchanted Cave 2