AuthorTopic: GR#191 - Human Sprite - Gesture, Proportion  (Read 11097 times)

Offline Daruda

• View Profile

GR#191 - Human Sprite - Gesture, Proportion

on: June 03, 2014, 12:54:07 am
Hello everyone! I'm really happy to post here since I visit this forum from months...
I wanted some help with a sprite, but I want to say that is still in wip and that I'm not really good with proportions...  Normaly I make chibies or such... EX: http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/86341.htm

Well, here it is:

I wanted something fairly realistic, mainly because I'm not good at it.
You can really see that I'm not...
The palette is in progress, I don't like to make before my palette and yes, the thing in his hand is a axe.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: First wip here!

Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 01:32:12 am
add some measurements to it.

Make it about 7.5 hds tall if you want to go realistic
legs up to the ball joint of the Humerus roughly 4 heads (the lower portion of the body - speak the legs - are in general longer than torso+head -depending where you make the cut - seediagram)
arms have a lenth of about 3 heads if they are stiff. Otherwise ~1.5 heads for the upper arm 1 head for the lower arm and 2/3 head for the length of the hand
Just named the most important points for the first one (which is realistic, but you might want to go with something more idealized)

take a close look at the chart, which should give you an ideal starting point.
Also consider that clothes, like shoes or hats are adding up.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 01:34:20 am by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Daruda

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 09:31:40 pm
Thanks  Cyangmou!
I was searching a reference like that from ages, on Da there are many, but not as good as this.
Well, I tried to follow the guidelines, I couldn't stick with them too much, but it seems a lot better.
It's still rough.

PS: Cyangmou I really love your art! Your profile is awesome. I'm really glad that you replied to me.

Offline dustinaux

• View Profile
    • dustinauxier.com

Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 09:45:09 pm
Much better, but note that one "head" is without hair, so you're head measurements are too tall by about 3 or 4 pixels, which is enough to still through off proportions quite a bit, making the torso too long.

The other thing that jumps out at me is that your guy's shoulders are too narrow.  They look to be maybe 1.75 heads in width, but refer to the image Cyangmou posted again to see that these figures are all at least two heads in width.
Currently making The Enchanted Cave 2

Offline Daruda

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 12:40:18 am
You're so Dustinaux, I continued to wonder why I couldn't fit him well... Thanks.
I feel so stupid.
Quick edit.

Strangely now, I feel that he's head is a little too small.

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 03:02:39 am

I think he should have less of an awkward stance without arms stuck out like that. And there seems to be a disconnect between the perspective of his face and shoes vs that of his torso and body.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 09:51:42 am

keep the proportions you changed in mind.
take a photo reference of a pose you like (chose 4 different standing poses in 4 different angles to the camera here)
try to get the size/position relationship of headm, ribcage and pelvis right
then try to get the positions for the single body parts right.

This will serve you as a conceptual base, from which you can build on
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Daruda

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 10:34:42 pm
Thanks to all who answered!
Since I had the feeling that the figure wasn't ok and I needed to study some pose, I started to sketch some  figure. I worked with proportions too.

with some shadows

I left behind color and details  because I wanted to perfect the shape before.

I'll try with that exercise you suggested cyngmou, I still can't really see the right size/position of the parts, but I really think that with some practice I may be able to gasp it, also looking here and there I noticed that in most media there is the 7 1/2 ratio of the head, just knowing that table helped me to make a righter analysis of images and poses.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 11:34:49 pm
if you work on a pose, don't throw in any detail first. Focus on the lines.
In digital art it's really easy to overpaint things we don't like completely opaque and we can go back if we want and warp stuff, which makes it easier to get to a good looking result, then it's on paper where you have to overtrace or start from scratch.

Your pose is stiff.
There is no flow and no weight.
Try to get the pose looking good just with a few lines.
you can worry about adding all the other things then.

just in case:
http://cyangmou.deviantart.com/art/5-Tips-for-the-Aspiring-Pixel-Artist-457660938

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:43:42 pm by Cyangmou »

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Daruda

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 12:19:28 am
Thanks Cyangmou!
Yes, I've seen that tutorial, I think that I have even a copy.
Don't know why I did use white for that, probably I just wanted a clear contrast, And I wanted something bigger because I could't read well the figure small like it was.

Thanks again for that gif, it really answered many of my questions!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 12:34:00 am by Daruda »