AuthorTopic: My original character  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Omega_Jet

• View Profile

My original character

on: May 29, 2014, 06:29:30 pm
Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum after a long time. Before I start, I feel like I should say a few things. I have been spriting for a few years in a certain style, its called LSW and I am pretty sure its not that well known. Recently, I have tried to branch out and create a new style of my own but since old habits die hard, my new style has a lot of influences from the old one which tbh, I am okay with.
Anyway, here are the sprites.

Major Credit to Orkimedes for the colours.
He is an original character of mine.
I mostly sprite this type of characters and monsters as my ultimate aim is to create an RPG game. This can be thought of as the sideview battle sprites.

Anyway, what I would like is some heavy objective criticism of the sprites, that is, I dont want criticism on the the costume design or originality, I want to know whats bad and good about the sprites.

Sorry for the long ass post guys, I would appreciate any comments and such.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: My original character

Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 07:36:46 pm
Very nice. Cool design. You know what you're doing.

Could you explain LSW?

Biggest complaint - he's purple tinted.

So he turns into a demon type dude, but keeps the exact same pants. Tried tearing the pants to look more hardcore/rugged like the char?
Does his cape become the wings? If so, that's awesome. If not, I suggest it.
Would also be neat if his sword carried over, too. And got an upgraded design of course - curves, prongs, spikes, whatever makes it look more dangerous.

Offline Omega_Jet

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 08:27:55 pm
@Mathias-
I appreciate the input and loving the sword you put in. I realize the palette is tinted purple, I guess its just a personal preference of mine.
I will try to explain a few things, he is a really old character of mine which I recently redesigned. His story (which I made up as a kid) goes something like this:
"The Demon King wanted a child, so he impregnated a human chick and Yoshiro was born to him. Yoshiro must fulfill his destiny by destroying the kingdom of which he is the prince, or will he?"
So yeah, the demon is his transformation. Also the cape does not become the wing, he wears it occasionally. The ripped pants, I guess I could try that.

Anyway, LSW stands for Legendary Super Warriors and it was basically a dbz game for the gameboy. Some people ripped sprites from the game and edited them and made custom characters which ended up evolving into a style of its own. Link to examples:
https://www.google.com.bd/search?q=LSW+sprites&newwindow=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=FJiHU5zbA4Ll8AW2mIGICA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=667
Once again, thanks for the crit man.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 09:17:05 pm
The palette makes it look more hazy, which I think can be nice with the right environment.
Would be nice to see it applied more selectively though, like removing it from the sword and face.