AuthorTopic: A New programmer try the Pixel art  (Read 4860 times)

Offline Setsaria

• View Profile

A New programmer try the Pixel art

on: May 23, 2014, 06:48:13 pm
Hello Everyone !
(Sorry for my english...)
I'm Jeremy, a french programmers (I use to work on C/C++/GML), I'm working on a little game on windows (export vers mobile phone I think). I started to code this game 8-7 month ago. I'm working alone.
For the code there is no problem, but the design of the game ... It's hard  ;D
I'm not an artist like you ( I saw a lot of amazing draw on this forum, guys you ROCKS ! :y: )
So I started to draw something that you can see below. I found some tutorials on the pixel art, I try to make the design by myself.
I actually use GIMP to draw. Have you got some advices about my little characters ? Did I make some mistakes ?  :(
I try to make this characters running, but I can't make them move ... Have you got a Tips or advices to help me ?

Thank you for reading  :)

Offline Rem

• I am the way
    • View Profile

Re: A New programmer try the Pixel art

Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 06:20:56 am
hey i'm new too. i like your style of pixeling so far. i can't really comment on improving except to just make pixel art. i use gimp as well and theres this animation plugin that i use that creates a sprite sheet from the different layers that you have. i'm sure theres better ways to do this, but this is the method i know. in case you didn't know, the sprite sheet consists of different animation frames.
heres link to plugin.
hope it helps
 http://registry.gimp.org/node/20943

Offline Setsaria

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 07:10:35 am
Hey Rem !
Thanks you for your answer. I didn't know this plugin, thanks to you.  :)
I install it, and i'll try to make a draw animation. If I understand,  I have to draw it frame by frame.
A saw a post about animation on this forum. Draw all part of body on a layer, on mix them to made the animation .

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:00:50 pm
Salut! =)

These characters are a good start. Maybe they're big for a game, but I don't know anything about making games.
One thing bothers me: they are facing towards their left (our right), but their torsos look like they face the other way.

If I understand,  I have to draw it frame by frame.

Yes. As opposed to drawing separate body parts and just moving them around, which might work for machinery but not for people. Here are some anim tutorials, I especially recommend the walking cycle tuto. Have fun!

PS: si l'anglais n'est pas assez clair, je peux le redire en français ;)

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 03:27:08 pm
I'd use a program like GraphicsGale rather than GIMP. GG is made for pixel art animations. I think it's much easier to work in.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 05:35:51 pm
Your contrast is so low on your second and third sprite's colors!

It read as only 5 colors (2 skin tones, 1 white and 1 grey shirt tone, and black), but when I zoomed in (greater than 400%), only then did I notice you used a lot more in the shirt/belt, etc. There's no sense in using more colors if you can't see them at a glance -- the only way to make that happen with these is to increase the contrast in value between the colors.

Also, I second what jams0988 says about Graphics Gale -- I can't imagine doing pixel animation in anything else since I've messed with Graphics Gale.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Setsaria

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 06:39:30 am
Thanks for every one ! (Merci à vous  :lol:)

I don't know GraphicsGale.
I made a modification on my character, I make him smaller (the old was too big for my game, you was right Manupix  ;) )
I see some tuto about animation and try to make him run. I watch and inspired by Metal Slug (my favorite game) to create my character.

For the color I've got some problems, I can't make them smooth and naturally...

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 10:54:12 am
The improvement is spectacular. Personally I'm rather fond of pixel sizes like this, where the face features are not represented (no visible eyes or mouth).
This could totally be the finished character.

If you like your current character design, before you draw more animations you should check that this character size :
- works well for the entire play area (screen size)
- works well with tile dimensions, assuming you're going to use tiled backgrounds : For example if you pick tiles of 16x16, does he need to be able shoot above a crate that's a single tile  ?  Does he need to be able pass through corridors that are 1 tile high, 2 tile high ? Should his jump height take him 1, 2, 3 tiles above ?

About the run, it's not noticeable at first but the foot that touches the ground moves back 9 pixels when going from image 2 to 3, and then 5 pixels when going from image 3 to 4. (and same for 6-7 and 7-8)
Since these transitions have the same delay, you should try make them identical spacing. This way, when the character actually runs across the screen, you'll be able to pick a speed that makes the support foot firmly planted on the ground, without sliding forwards in some animations and backwards in other animations.

Offline Setsaria

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 02:53:29 pm
Thanks for the compliments !   :) I'm still hesitate if it's the finish character... and for the shadow on this character i'm not sure. Have you got some idea for the shadow on the clothes ?

It's a really good question about the dimensions for the background !
For the screen and move the player, it's a good size.

For the animation, you're an eagle  ;D ! I'll modify this, thanks to you

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 07:08:05 pm
You should very much learn Graphics Gale -- it's worth the time it takes to learn its ins-and-outs if you plan on making an entire game.

As far as shadow on his shirt -- at a size like this, simpler is better.

You should consider taking out that bright-white from his shirt, and perhaps put it on his face or gun instead. After all, the most prominent place a player will look is at the brightest color on the image -- and right now, that's your character's shirt. You don't want someone looking at his shirt instead of the tip of his gun or his face do you?

Finally, you might consider making his legs thicker on the standing frames or thinner on the running ones. His legs seem to get huge from standing to running. Might have something to do with coloring-over the Metal-Slug sprite (which I highly recommend against doing in the future to prevent mistakes like this.) It's better to take the time to learn how to make motion like that on your own, because when you don't, it shows.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/