AuthorTopic: Seeking Cool Pixel Art For LameStation DIY Gaming Handheld  (Read 2142 times)

Offline lamestation

• View Profile
Hi there. My name is Brett, and I created the LameStation.

What Is A LameStation?

The LameStation is a game console that you build and program yourself. You get a box of parts, and a soldering iron so you can assemble it. Then you get a complete set of game development tools—everything you need to write your own games. The included book walks you step-by-step all the way from soldering your first component to playing your first game. The LameStation teaches hardware, software, and everything in between. For kids, students, and educators, it is the ultimate introduction to electronics and programming all in one box.

If you really want to see what the platform does, check out our first game trailer to see it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNA_C--MipA

Why Am I Here?

I want to make this kit as fun as possible from the moment you open the box. As you all know, art can be one of the most daunting tasks when you start on a new game. That's why I want to include as much royalty-free content as I can in the kit. I've already written several games and created numerous sprites and tilesets for the kit, but I want to add some completely new content, that will inspire and take this kit to the next level.

Submission Guidelines

The console has a 2-bit 128x64 screen, with most sprites sized as multiples of 8. I need sprites for any and all types of games, side-scrollers, top-down RPGs, real-time strategy, platformer, whatever you've got, I can use. There is no style of game that it needs to conform to. This is a library of content to help students jumpstart their own games. Since these kits will be used for education, keep it PG. The console only has three color shades: black, grey, and white. Any high-color submissions will be down-sampled, so your drawing may not render the way you expected it if submitted otherwise.

Here's some examples so you can see exactly what we're talking about.

Why You Should Care

If chosen, your submissions will be released under a Creative Commons license within the free and open-source software library included with each and every LameStation kit, and will likely find their way into lots of games made by many different people. If you're looking to leave your mark on an exciting new educational product, and show lots and lots of kids what a sweet pixel artist you are, this is your chance.

So, how about it? Send your submissions to demos@lamestation.com and let's make something awesome together!