AuthorTopic: New to Pixel art, But I am proud of this piece.  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Alexanator28

• View Profile

New to Pixel art, But I am proud of this piece.

on: May 25, 2014, 04:05:13 am
Hello! I found this this community has been really helpful to turn WIPS from many people and turn them into something amazing! I would hope you guys help me do the same, since I am pretty new to Pixel art. I tried to use dithering, but I don't think it had the result I wanted.
I guess I am asking for some C+C please! Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 05:09:48 am by Alexanator28 »

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Re: New to Pixel art, But I am proud of this piece.

Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 05:14:43 am
You need to think about your color choices more to get a more realistic scene. Go look up pictures of sunsets on google - you won't find too many dark purple skies or saturated green grass. It's important to draw what you actually see, instead of making guesses. I'd go find a good reference, and recolor your picture. I think you'll be surprised at how easily your picture is improved. Good luck. =)

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 06:41:33 am
First, just forget about dithering for now.  People assume its an integral part of pixel art but it isnt.  It came about as a way to create inbetween colors on old computers that couldnt display alot of colors.  It can also be used for texture.  Theres nothing wrong with using dithering, its just, not a requirment.

Big problem with your colors is each thing feels totally seperate.  Grass is green, mountains blue, sky purple, sun orange.  The image will look more cohesive if you bring all the colors into each thing.  This doesnt mean that you need to take the exact blue from the mountain and put it in the grass, but maybe shifting the shadows towards blue and the highlights towards orange will help things out.

Offline Alexanator28

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 02:51:21 pm
I have changed the colors quite a bit and you were right. I think it looks a lot better.

I think the grass is a lil meh, but I don't know how to fix it  :-\

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 03:16:44 pm

Quick color edit

I believe r1k was talking about something more like this. See how the mountains and the grass have hints of the orange and yellow coming from the sun? With a light source that strong, you will definitely see its color on everything around it.

But yeah, I'd stay away from dithering and you could easily optimise the pallette to use a few less colors, which will, again, unify the picture.

Offline Alexanator28

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 04:20:40 pm
That picture makes a lot more sense, Mr. Fahrenheit. I think I will think about colors a lot more when I am pixel arting. I'll be sure to post another one of my questions on this forum, since you guys have been so helpful!