AuthorTopic: So I'm a newbie at pixel art...  (Read 2746 times)

Offline namunamnom

• whoa!
    • View Profile

So I'm a newbie at pixel art...

on: May 27, 2014, 10:36:22 am
I just started Pixel Art a day ago. The thing is, I tried making my own, but the face is kinda.... idk, distorted?
Here is the pic

Would really love some feedback!

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Re: So I'm a newbie at pixel art...

Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 03:18:36 am
Welcome!

A few suggestions from me:

- I guess you've saved this as a .jpg at some point, because you've got a crazy number of colours for such a small piece. Make sure you always save as .png or .gif, to avoid distortion and extra colours.
- I've reduced it to about 8-10 colours (I forget) just to show that you can get nearly the same results with less than 10% of the colors you've got right now. I recommend that you start with as few colors as possible, and add new colors sparingly. This isn't to imitate the color restrictions of old school games or anything, it's just to give you more control, making it easier to work with what you have. Mixing the balance between colours is like juggling, and the level of difficulty increases very rapidly as you start juggling more and more stuff.
- Didn't make a lot of changes to the character, but tried to clean up some lines, get rid of jaggies, work on the shading and moved the eyes a bit further down, while making the cranium a bit longer.

Offline namunamnom

• whoa!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 03:58:18 am
I had a feeling I've been using too much colors. The thing is I'm a digital CG guy, so my palette is very very full (1500+ colors for a single piece).

Also I'm pretty confused, I saved this file as a .png at 32bpp ARGB (since saving it as a 32bpp RGB will destroy the transparency) Maybe its because of that the image compression is poor?

Anyways, I tried fixing it, now with 12 colors //god am i bad at small palettes

/sorry my english is bad orz

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 08:58:19 pm
Definitely looks better. But it's also a different style in terms of colours. It's more... mellow. Which is cool. Depends on whether or not you intend to have a background, and what kind of background.

- Made some changes to the posture, which looked imbalanced before.
- Google images of pants (in this case, chinos) to see how you should apply shadows.
- I don't think the individual dark pixels on  the t-shirt are adding anything. Maybe it's just me.
- If you have a green shirt with 2 shades of green, the brightest shade should normally have stronger colours (more saturation).  I guess that's more a rule of thumb though.