AuthorTopic: Samurai Champloo  (Read 2616 times)

Offline dyuaru

• Funkitized!
    • View Profile

Samurai Champloo

on: July 28, 2006, 07:25:32 pm
Just finished watching the whole series of Samurai Champloo, which I recommend to anyone who likes interesting plotlines and samurais ;D!
Well I decided to stop work on one of my projects and create a Samurai Champloo pixel art of Mugen, one of the most interesting characters that I have ever seen. He does breakdance-like moves while he fights and has come close to dying like a million times but never seems to die.

Well now onto the pixel art. Its still not done, since I don't have much time to do this as I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow but I wanted to post it up to see what you guys think. This is my first time trying dithering so most of the dithering I did is probably incredibly inapropriate or not done correctly so I think I need some help on that. The anatomy might be slightly off but I did this with a fanart I found online as the reference, but yeah this is while he is motion of doing his breakdance-like whirlwind kick/kicks. One of the main problems I had with this is the face, I'm just not sure how to get it right. He's supposed to have a gruntled expression and I'm not really good with expressions on small pixel works as I usually do game art which usually doesn't show all that much expression. I got really lazing with the shading and didn't really complete it as you can easily tell :-X. I really want to get better at dithering as I really like the look of it in the pixel works that I have seen in this board. (ex: Tremulant, Helm, st0ven, and many more.)
C+C will be appreciated and I don't mind edits as I really need some help on this piece.
-Okashii Game Development-

yosh64

Re: Samurai Champloo

Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 03:28:44 am
hey

Firstly I think the line art and character is pretty cool :).

1) I think it's odd how his shirt looks so stiff and seems to defy gravity?
2) Hmm, the light source doesn't seem clear to me, and he looks rather flat. Judging by the shadow, it should be right above, but your shading doesn't seem to reflect this.
3) I can't really see any expression on his face, does the real character have eye brows? as I think they can be great for showing expression. I'd imagine he'd have his teeth showing and such with a gruntled expression, and for a cartoon I think this should really be over exegerated.

cyas

Offline dyuaru

• Funkitized!
    • View Profile

Re: Samurai Champloo

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 07:08:40 pm
Thanks for the critique and yeah I didn't put too much time into deciding a light source but I'll make sure to do that once I fix up the shading and get to work on making it better. As for the shirt its just supposed to be really loose but yeah I think I should add more detail to make it seems more realistic. I'll get to work as soon as I get back to my desktop, and again thanks for the critique and help  :D
-Okashii Game Development-