AuthorTopic: Super New to Pixel Art.. Could use C+C  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Xaefo

• View Profile

Super New to Pixel Art.. Could use C+C

on: June 29, 2014, 09:44:56 am
Alright, so I'm sure you've seen my pixel art at this point seeing as the page already loaded.. I assure you that this isn't a joke, but I am just really new to this. I am learning to code at the same time I'm learning to program, but I'm falling behind a bit on the pixel art half.. I'm being 100% honest when I say I have no idea how to improve this. (Not saying it isn't possible.. Just that I can't, yet.) Anyways, assuming you haven't seen it by some miracle and you read this first.. Here 'ya go!

As you can tell I really need some help, so any criticism would be greatly appreciated. The thing I'd mostly like help on is the legs, as they look the worst (In my opinion) but I just can't see how I can improve that in a 32x32 space without making them completely straight. Straight legs lack character.

So, as it turns out I could also use help with the hat. The curves confuse me and it looks really bad because of that.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for murdering your eyes.  :'(

Offline miro42

• View Profile
    • Floydian Theory

Re: Super New to Pixel Art.. Could use C+C

Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 12:45:03 am
Hey Xaefo.  My first thought is that you need to understand the basics of drawing first and foremost.  Pixel art seems like it should be easy, but it actually takes a lot of knowledge of anatomy and how things work together in order to get something to read on such a small scale.  It took me awhile to realize that it was in fact a rhino head and not an alien with some antenna. 

In all art, and especially in arms and legs, you need variation.  If they're the same, then it will look static and boring.  Honestly, you could have done anything else to the arms and legs and it would look better.  Mirror images are rarely a good thing, unless you have a specific purpose behind it.

Also, I'd work on how to draw a head in 3/4 perspective.  Unless the entire body is in a profile position (fully side, like Mario), then the head needs to look three dimensional too.

When a character is one color (except for his undies) then you'll probably need to use some shading to break up the flatness of the coloring.

Here's a quick edit to show you what can be done in just a few quick minutes:

One last thing on posing.  First start off in all black.  Make a silhouette of what your character is doing.  If you can tell from the silhouette who a character is and what he is doing then you can start going into colors and details. Here's an example of silhouettes from the game Team Fortress 2.  All are very unique and instantly recognizable. 

I hope nothing I said was too harsh.  :D

Offline Farage

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 09:10:58 pm
That was very helpful Miro, how can i give you a "thumbs up" ?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 12:38:48 am
That was very helpful Miro, how can i give you a "thumbs up" ?
By making him proud by becoming a better pixel artist :)

Now get to practice! :)

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 01:39:40 am
Speaking of which, what's the purpose of the "Karma: +0/-0"? Seeing as there's no way to vote on peoples posts....
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 07:10:02 am
Speaking of which, what's the purpose of the "Karma: +0/-0"? Seeing as there's no way to vote on peoples posts....

We (moderators and admins) are using it for cookies and strikes right now.
Discord: Ennea#9999