AuthorTopic: New to this community  (Read 19255 times)

Offline Hurumi

• View Profile

New to this community

on: May 23, 2014, 08:49:14 am
Hello I am here because I came across a tutorial from someone online who mentioned about this place. I have done pixel art just not much and I would like to improve. The type of pixel I would like do are the ones in modern fighting 2d style fighting games such as Blazblue. I would also like to learn to animation my sprite too for now they just idle with no animation what so ever. I do not know to properly to upload images here if there a way you can. 

These are just some sprite for a manga/future video game series I would like to make.

Also have done some editing over some RPG Maker sprites from the template. Would have use those programs out there that help for the software but the designs did not fit my character. If I ever do get better I would probably make my own. Can't wait to see all the lovely other sprite makers that here.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 10:38:36 am by PixelPiledriver »

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: New to this community

Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:54:41 am
Hi, and welcome to the forum. :)

First two drawings are not pixel art they are more low res pencil drawings, cause main idea in pixel art is that every pixel is placed carefully and it has it's purpose. Here you just tried to draw, probably in MS paint.

Third one maybe can be classified as pixel art but there are a lot of problems there, you have some redundant colors, edges are not clean, you have some gray outline that doesn't have a purpose etc.

You are probably young, and I don't want to discourage you, but I must say that you first need to learn to draw a bit better, before you try to create pixel art. Pixel art maybe looks like an easy medium but it's not truth.

Practice your drawing skill every day. You don't have to draw on computer, pen and paper will be more than fine. After a while you will see the progress. Good luck. :)

Offline Hurumi

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 04:49:38 pm
Um you think you can tell me how you got the image to show. As for the drawing these are old but I am improving bit by bit. Also um I used Paint Tool Sai for this which has the binary tool which was used to draw this I don't really know how to use paint so I prefer using that. If could be because I used a larger size for the canvas this one drawing could but what your hoping it should have look like.  http://fav.me/d6e4ely I drew that on 256 by 256 in Paint Tool Sai.

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 06:49:20 pm
I didn't make your images appear, that was our moderator PixelPileDriver, you just need to add
Code: [Select]
[img]before and
Code: [Select]
[/img] after image link (You can use little Monalisa icon to do that).

MS paint was just a guess, you can use what ever tool you want.

You should definitely try to work on lower resolution, with 64x64 and see how it will turn out. 256x256 is very large canvas for just drawing pixel character. And as I said, continue to practice it will pay off. :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 07:14:27 pm by HarveyDentMustDie »

Offline Hurumi

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 08:30:08 pm
Okay will do on that and is there any specific size to use or 64 by 64 what I have to use?

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 09:15:59 pm
You can use what ever resolution you like (considering it's not much over 150px) I just suggested 64x64 for test try, just so you can see what you can do.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 10:06:39 pm
Sloppy re draft:

Loosen up a bit.
Take Harvey's advice.
Grab an art book.
Practice paper and pixel at the same time.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 04:59:09 am
I'm new to pixel art myself.
Though I do have some background in pencil art from a decade ago. My art teacher used to set up a mannequin and we would have to circle around it drawing the same figure from multiple angles. So that would be my advice to you, and if you don't have a mannequin at home. Just use posemaniacs.com, which allows you to rotate the images.

proof of concept:

Offline Hurumi

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 02:29:43 am
Wow that looks great for the redrawing. But I'm not young as you stated I am 22 years of age. Also I have just finshed a drawing well I lineart it how do I resize to a proper pixel art size. Whenever I tried to resize it looks crappy.'

Also I am using references to help me on my drawings more. Posemanics is good but it hard to location what I exactly want one there so I dont use it often.

Okay so I decided to try on my own rather than wait for help. I tried to make the size the until 150 but I couldn't for the other half so it 80 by 210. The second is what it based on I resize the image then redid it in pixel. Was trying to keep the same effects as I'm drawing it but it hard and I dunno how to shade on pixel drawing yet so I dont wanna mess up. The way you have redone my drawing is what I wanted to get in my own style.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:10:00 am by PixelPiledriver »

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 03:07:39 pm
I'll eat my leather belt if this isn't the reference used for the creation of the above drawing.
Though if it isn't then it would make a good reference.

Anyway, i'd work learning to follow the contours of the human body before you go on about adding clothing

Quick edit: