AuthorTopic: GR#220 - John Mueller's Oink - Sprite Process  (Read 27203 times)

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

GR#220 - John Mueller's Oink - Sprite Process

on: May 21, 2014, 01:41:13 pm
Hi guys. :) Recently I've read John Mueller's comic Oink(old version from '95) and I had to create some pixel tribute art. :crazy:

I've used 11 colors for this (7 for character and 4 for background), and it was very interesting to work with low color count. I don't want to exactly replicate my reference that's why I've chose this palette.

Reference->

It's still work in progress but I would like to hear some comments about the palette (cause this was the first time I've pay attention to this aspect, usually I just pick the colors that fit :)), and what do you think about creating flag texture for background (wrinkles and stuff) and do you have any advice for that. Background colors are random shades of orange/red, I just didn't want plain red.

Thank you for reading, and every comment is appreciated. :)

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Re: John Mueller's Oink [WIP][C+C]

Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 02:11:26 pm
Looks great so far.  (Would personally make sure each segment of the background graphic is symmetrical.  I don't know why, but something as precise as pixels really highlights anything weird on geometric stuff.  I'm sure a normal human would not notice so feel free to ignore). 

As for the palette, the very saturated dark crimson shadow is quite a departure from the original and the whole piece is kind of a lot warmer and more vibrant.  Which is fine, nothing wrong with it, I generally use similar colours too.  You definitely lose the big hue contrast though in this piece though.  You're also adding competing shapes in the background by breaking the flag into 3 distinct clusters.  So in effect a red shape ontop of 3 red shapes, rather than a blue shape ontop of a red shape.  (Obviously a lot more subtle than I've described it, but something to consider!) 

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 03:26:46 pm
Thanks for the comment.;D I should be more precise at the beginning (my bad), background is still not decided this is just place holder.

Originally I planned to use dithering to blend this background colors, but then I thought maybe a flag would have more impact. The current background is nether of these two. I was asking what do you think about flag concept (which would involved changing the shape of the white sign to match the wrinkles) and do you have any advice on how to make it with this few colors. I was concerned that it would be too much. About the white symbol I agree that it's not clean, I just put two circles and three stripes in PS just to have something, I'll clean it.

You are right about hue contrast loss, maybe I should desaturate background and maybe change its color a bit to achieve it again (cause I like the current character colors). This way character would be more dominant.

Two versions:

EDIT: Maybe the second one is better after all.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 03:30:59 pm by HarveyDentMustDie »

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 12:34:13 am
Here is the update:

I experimented a bit, and I want to know what do you guys think, can I get away with this or it's not appropriate and too distracting:

Offline Tijjer

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 03:29:37 am
Here is the update:

I experimented a bit, and I want to know what do you guys think, can I get away with this or it's not appropriate and too distracting:

I find it a little distracting, also I'm I reading it as a flag?  ???

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 04:54:44 am
It'd be cool if the shape of the symbol was distorted with the folds of the flag, but do whatever you want. It looks cool either way I'd say.

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 08:31:53 am
@Tijjer Then it's good, it's suppose to be a flag. :)

@Mr. Fahrenheit If you look closer you will see that it's distorted a bit, but if you didn't saw that at first glance, that means that I need to distort it more. :)

Offline BrightBit

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 09:46:06 am
It's really good looking and I wouldn't distort it more. Keep up the good work!

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 12:43:53 pm
@BrightBit Thanks. :)

Here is another update, I've clean the flag, distorted white sign a bit more (later maybe I'll add some AA and clean it), and worked on some other parts.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 12:24:16 am by HarveyDentMustDie »

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 07:37:19 pm
Too bad you stopped at this stage, this looks ready to submit to the PJ gallery, if you were so inclined.

My opinion:

- I prefer the colours in your first post. Especially with the relatively busy background. It's a bit late to say now, but I also preferred the clean background without ripples, without having seen the reference. But if you're using the flag, I think this makes it even more important to make the character pop.
- Readability is particularly low around the face, I think. Maybe it's not a problem for people who are familiar with the character, but for me it took a while to appreciate just what I was looking at. This was also better in the original, maybe because the face had slightly less shadow and more constrast.
- I think the axe hand looks different from the rest. There's a dark outline around the axe hilt and the right hand.
- The chain links don't look connected, they just look like circles touching each other. I don't know if I can explain this properly without doing an edit, but each link hole shouldn't appear as a circle, because that hole is also partially filled by the two closest links.

Hope this helps. Finish this :)