AuthorTopic: Tarspawn sprite  (Read 3353 times)

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Tarspawn sprite

on: May 20, 2014, 05:37:33 pm
I'm trying to get into pixeling again, so this is my latest attempt. (much thanks to Ellian for advice and encouragement.)

My goal was to find a workflow for creating sprites that can produce nice looking finished work - I don't know if I've succeeded since I'll need to look at it again later.
Suggestions for improvement are always welcome, of course.

Edit: Oh right, the palette is Dawnbringer's 32 bit palette adjusted with overlay function.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 10:48:18 pm by Ymedron »
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Re: Tarspawn sprite

Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 08:43:10 pm
Compared to the ref, there are maybe a bit too much different colors; but that's more of a design issue imo.
Maybe you can tweak the overlay some more so it's more... I dunno, mixed together?

Anyway as we discussed earlier, it's really nice. I'm not too fond of the wing's shadow color (it should be either darker or closer to the light color hue, I think?)...
And the clothes are missing something, maybe more outline-colored folds to give them more volume? I'm not sure x__x

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 10:00:00 pm
the design seems scattered and incoherent, like someone tried to add too many good ideas and it went out of balance
but sprite looks pretty good try som line weight variations

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 10:38:46 pm
I tried addressing Ellian's concerns with the sprite, didn't notice fizzick added a comment too, sorry. <:U Not much line weight partying here.

I probably didn't iterage enough when I made the design, that's likely why it's kinda scattered. I still like it, so I'm probably still blind to the mistakes in it. Hopefully will see them in the future.

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 04:17:40 am
His right leg looks a bit strange to me, as if it's actually closer than his left. I think there's two reasons for this: 1. It's too well lit. The colors don't suggest it's any further away. 2) The trouser of his right leg is lifting up as if his leg is hooked toward us, whereas the trouser of his left leg is hanging low as if his foot is further back.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 12:22:38 pm
How this for the legs?

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 03:30:34 pm
Brightening that leg helped, but it's the other leg that seems much too long. The only thing that could help is either put more foreshortening on the (our) right leg, or perhaps bring the (our) left knee/thigh on the distant leg downward to account for size diminishment via depth (and perhaps lift the foot up on it a bit higher too, in order to give some sense of foreshortening to the front leg without having to change it.) Other than that, your technique and lighting look great, and the character design is interesting enough, if a little flamboyant (I think the saturated purple look here is the biggest offender in this regard.)
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/