AuthorTopic: GR#188 - Erde Scene - Pixel Artwork Scenery  (Read 13726 times)

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

GR#188 - Erde Scene - Pixel Artwork Scenery

on: May 19, 2014, 03:39:03 am
Something I recently pixeled showing no WIP (I probably should have posted a couple days ago). I like to just work on things continuously sometimes from start to finish and at my own high pace.
I realize it's odd to post something not sketchy here but here it is anyhow,
(You never know what might happen).

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:43:06 am by |||| »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: Erde Scene

Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 06:09:16 am
Can you explain this?
Is the blue stuff the tops of trees?
Clouds?
Is it just mean to be somewhat abstract?
It's fun to look at, but I don't really know what it is.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 06:12:22 am
I'm reading clouds. You can see the slightly greener trees poking through.
I had to look a few times, though. The clouds were reading like tree tops at first to me, too...
What's really confusing for me is the perspective. It feels like the horizon should be a lot lower? It feels like the ground is curving steeply upward. It's a little disconcerting!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 06:14:16 am by jams0988 »

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 06:31:55 am
Yeah. the blue stuff is 'low-flying' clouds, or fog. Like the ones you see in N. California (at least that's what I got the idea from seeing; in the wine country areas particularly), or more so in China I reckon; the misty sort of clouds seen in lots of old ink paintings. The clouds are more blue than they'd really be though. Yet then again in this fantasy world the light could be more blue... There are three elemental moons in orbit and the Ice moon shines blue.

So, here's  a labeled version to clarify what I intended. It's a lady overlooking a valley at night which is mostly enshrouded in clouds:

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 06:48:11 am
The blue isn't really a problem.
It just seems overly thick and lumpy.
Which is why I asked.
They look like solid objects.
Instead of seeing whats through the fog in various thicknesses, like an variable atmospheric perspective, I just see the fog as a thing.
No time for edits.
Maybe look at some photos.

Stuff
Thing
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 07:04:47 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 08:40:58 am
Just want to quickly add some very rough thoughts on composition and horizon line:

I also thought it would look cool if the sword had a faint glow.

Hope it helps  :y:

Edit: Also not sure about colors just used some from your piece

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 07:45:25 pm
I must say I was confused as well. The blue clouds not only don't read as clouds, but they don't have any sense of scale, distance and perspective (in the sense of being a rather horizontal, vertical or other, expanse). One reason is the evenness of the texture scale.

The tree foliage texture is weird too; the tree trunk doesn't contrast enough against the bg.

Wolf's edit raised interesting points. I'd go a different way though. What I like best in your piece are the upper left corner (landscape and sky) and the lower right (character and tree trunk), but they're lost in the fog and foliage. Maybe you should get them close together and make the canvas smaller.

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 08:31:14 pm

I worked off Wolfenoctis's post a bit with the character. (mostly was too lazy to draw a character on my own lol) In my version though the primary lightsource isn't the sword but rather the starry sky as a whole.

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 08:38:45 pm
This doesn't address the lumpiness of the clouds but it's a different composition; raised the foreground, tree and character. Gave the clouds more depth (just a quick transform, would have to repixel over them). Just a quick edit based on some of the things shared here:

Will likely do a total rework on this, an Erde Scene Ver. 2; but as I mentioned just posting to see what comes up for now.

Pre-post- update
(just before posting I see Drazelic's Edit; looking good)..
 definitely a lot of new ideas coming in for Ver. 2 already. Thanks guys
(although you're really changing the character design)

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 10:06:24 pm
Last update helps immensely. Keep working on it and dont give up  :P