AuthorTopic: [RevShare]Very Experienced Developer Seeks Artist for 2D Undersea Adventure Game  (Read 2170 times)

Offline HuntingtonGames

• View Profile
I feel like an Interview should be as much about me as it is about you.  So before I say what i'm looking for, let me tell you a little about myself.  I'm a 34yo software developer.  I work a full time job doing enterprise web development on a pretty successful web application.  I've been building things since I was about 15 years old when I got my first computer.  I started with Turbo Pascal and it has been a life long obsession ever since.  Turbo Pascal, QBasic, Bash, Perl, Visual Basic, PHP, Javascript, Ruby, Rails, and C#.  But I thought myself to program because I wanted to make games and something weird happened.  I never made a game(that was published).  So about a year ago I set out to do that, and I've been teaching myself C#/Unity.  I've done a bunch of prototyping but this is the first serious endeavor i'm embarking on.  I have experience shipping and maintaining software used by hundreds of thousands of people everyday.  So I know how to complete a project and see it through to the end.

This is where I come looking for you.  I thought I could be a hero, make music, make art, do the programming, but truth is, I'm a long way off of being a decent artist.  I've tried but it's not realistic to think I can do this on this project and do it in any realistic amount of time and create the quality i'm looking for in the pixels.  I can program anything, but art is hard. 

Just as long as i've spent learning to be a programmer, hopefully the person i'm looking for has spent just as much time being an artist.

While this is a side project it is a serious side project and i'd hope for those applying they would take it as such as well.  You don't need to treat it like a full time job, but i'm putting in 10-15hrs a week on it, someone that could do the same would be great.  Right now I am planning to release the game on PC/Mac/Linux and hopefully steam.  I'm also in talks with releasing it on one console but need to get a playable slice of the game before that is confirmed and i'm under NDA so can't talk about it anyway meh. 

I have a devblog going here http://www.huntingtongames.xyz

About This Project:
The game at its core is an undersea 2d adventure game.  The core movement and mechanics are in game, sound, game managers, and the game loop are working.  I've started working on level building.  I'm open to any and all suggestions I just want to make really fun and unique game experiences.  One thing I am sure of is I will never release games with DLC or any of that nonsense.  I just want to release games, with a price and people either buy it or they don't.  But what's important to me is that each game that is released my personality and style comes out in it.  If you're working on this project with me it should speak of you too.

About You:
You should be an ambitious self starter of legal age to make financial decisions without needing consent of an adult.  It is important for me to work with someone I get along with extremely well.  I like things to be drama free, fun, and to build awesome shit.  You should be a well rounded game artist capable of doing all sorts of 2d art, tile building, characters, world sprites, monster sprites, and animations one would expect to develop a game with two people.  If you can also do 3d modeling all the better!  There will be a few 3d objects needed for the game but it won't be a deal breaker if you can't!  We can always find a way to get it done later even if I have to come out of pocket for it.

What you get out of it:
The thrill of releasing a completed project, and should any revenues be generated from it 50% of all wind fall that may come our way.  This is a 50/50 project for anyone who wants to join. Also the potential of a long lasting working relationship.  My ultimate goal is to be able to release a game every year or two for as long as I can muster up the energy.  I'm coming with a project already in the works, but for future projects again I'm all ears to working on something you've had your heart set on as well! 

In the end you'll be working towards completing a life long dream of mine with me and for that i'll be ever grateful.

If you're interested in applying send over a little about yourself and your portfolio in a pm or leave it here, I will reach out with a more elegant form of communication should we decide to take the next steps!  I will respond in kind though to anyone who does take the time to submit their work.

Offline NathanielFalcon

• View Profile
Hi!
My name is Nathaniel Falcon, and I think we might be able to help each other out. I am a lifelong artist and gamer who is just getting started in the game dev world (I'm picking my way through Construct 2 right now) but I've come to the realization that I am really, really bad at coding (and math in general) but still want to create kickass games. I'm loving the art of making sprites so far, and I'm looking for someone who I can partner up with when it comes to game development. My portfolio shows off my fine art background, and can be seen here: http://imgur.com/a/2Sz92
I am armed with a wacom tablet and a copy of photoshop and Aseprite (and hopefully Spriter soon too), and I am willing to put in the time and effort necessary to get a game off the ground. Please email me at crescentsuncreations@gmail.com if you have any further questions.
I look forward to hearing from you soon!

-Nathaniel Falcon