AuthorTopic: :) Just joined, would love some help!  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Travisty

• View Profile

:) Just joined, would love some help!

on: May 15, 2014, 05:58:51 am

Don't want to animate him before I know for certain things are correct. I want to make a game with League's camera angle (which I've simply decided is close enough to 3/4ths perspective so I'm just going with 3/4ths perspective).

I'm certain that the lighting is off, and I'm thinking that the markings on his arm aren't properly shaded (but I can fix that pretty easily), and he's more or less posing at the moment as this render is a (heavy) modification of a work someone else did. (Not planning on using this as a frame in any of my animations, but will be going with this design, still; I think any feedback for this frame will help me as an artist nonetheless)

Original: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3GJAX1As7t4/TcA2pG0a0zI/AAAAAAAAACQ/ROUiNdjdszM/s1600/Cyndaquil.PNG

He's going to be a fire-based fighter, dealing powerful blows while setting the world ablaze. :)

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Re: :) Just joined, would love some help!

Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 06:33:49 am
For one that's obviously Cyndaquil, like in a legally questionable way, so you really shouldn't go with that design if you don't want to get called out by everyone and possibly C&D'd by Nintendo. Sorry to be so frank.

Secondly that's a really big sprite, so animating it will be a nightmare. Pixel art is best looking and most practical when its relatively small, like a quarter of that size. If you want them to be that big though you should look into other media, either vectors or straight illustration.

Offline Travisty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 06:37:45 am
For one that's obviously Cyndaquil, like in a legally questionable way, so you really shouldn't go with that design if you don't want to get called out by everyone and possibly C&D'd by Nintendo. Sorry to be so frank.

Secondly that's a really big sprite, so animating it will be a nightmare. Pixel art is best looking and most practical when its relatively small, like a quarter of that size. If you want them to be that big though you should look into other media, either vectors or straight illustration.
Was hoping I'd be able to avoid legal action by adjusting it, but yeah, you're right, I'll have to alter the design rather heavily. Other than that, how would you suggest I go about it, then? I don't want my game to look like Risk of Rain (I don't like how "small" it looks and how much everything is spaced and stuff) but I do really want to use pixel art as a medium for this project, as I'm loving it.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 04:04:13 pm
Give him some bug mandibles on his face or something that really alters his silohuette/form and think of another way to color him, perhaps like a penguin?

And Phlakes was right about pixel size / resolution vs. another medium. This simple of a character could easily be represented with only a few pixels (relatively speaking) and, really, if you're working properly with the pixels and defining your silhouette first in illustrations like this one, you can get a pretty near-infinite resolution with your pixels if you cluster the colors properly. This is obviously only an illusion since your resolution is predetermined by your canvas size, but your skill in pixel placement and clustering can easily hide this jaggedness and can mimic cel-shaded graphics and animation pretty faithfully, even at very low resolutions.

The key to determining what resolution/canvas size to use is determining how 'fat' of a pixel you're comfortable working with, and whether this pixel size meets your idea of the style of graphics you want. The 'fatness' of a pixel just means how big do you want a single pixel to be relative to the level of detail you need in your graphics, and the larger this pixel is, the more symbolic you have to be in your representation of detail (i.e. the flame in your 'sprite' above would only need 3-5 pixels to represent the lightest yellow color in it in, say, a 32x64 sprite version, meaning you can't use much of it and your colors would need to 'cluster' more to represent the bright in that portion of your sprite, thus no fine-grain detail as you have in your flames atm, which isn't needed anyway, since simplicity and clarity tend to go hand in hand.)
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 04:25:23 pm
Was hoping I'd be able to avoid legal action by adjusting it

If you copy somebody else's intellectual property and merely adjust it, this is still copyright infringement. It counts as a derivative work, and unless you are actually licensed to create such a work, you have no ownership over it. The same goes for any kind of pixel art. If you like somebody's art and decide to use it as a base for your own work, just changing the odd color/pixel here and there, then you have no ownership over it unless the license permitted derivative works, and even if permitted you will often need to give credit and be subject to a variety of conditions about how you may use it.

As for the quality of pixel art, this isn't even pixel art. You've taken somebody else's non-pixel art base with soft lines and gradients, then just added some pixels on top. The styles clash, and the base has form, while the additions seem to miss the form entirely. If you really want to improve you art, I'd suggest trying to create forms from scratch. I don't think it will be so useful for people to explain why the symbols don't match the form of the Cyndaquil.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 04:30:20 pm by JoeCreates »

Offline Travisty

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 05:05:35 pm
Thanks for all the feedback!

I'm going to create a Panda-like creature and go from there. I'm going to keep my sprites within the confines of 64x88; I'm planning on making this a console game; at the very least a game that looks good on a 40"+ screen, and I need the characters to be big enough to be hit by skillshots and whatnot without a millimeter being the difference between hitting them or not. I suppose I could simply work in this resolution and work with "big" pixels to give it that low-res look.