AuthorTopic: Resizing pixel art and exporting  (Read 2006 times)

Offline jessekirbs

• View Profile

Resizing pixel art and exporting

on: May 13, 2014, 10:28:45 pm
Hey guys,

New to the boards but excited to check out all the material on here…

First of all, I'm pretty new to creating pixel art, so I'm still figuring out the best methods. I created a 96x96 tiled piece of art in Photoshop. After the fact, I realized that it had to be 142x142, so I tried recreating it in Illustrator so that I could resize it without loss of quality and sharpness. I resized it to 142x142 and tried to export a PNG and it came out looking horrible (blurry/anti-aliased). Tried turning off all anti-aliasing and re-exporting but to no avail. What is the best way for me to export a perfectly crisp PNG? Do I have to recreate it at the right size?

The main problem is that I'm making art for an iPhone game, and some of these tiles will need to be displayed at different sizes. 320x320 and 142x142. Will I have to make new art for each size? I really want to keep the look and pixel dimensions of the 96x96 art. Thanks so much in advance, and apologies for any stupid questions.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Re: Resizing pixel art and exporting

Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 01:38:19 am
Most images that people need resized is not pixel art, so it usually defaults to cubic interpolation or something similar to that, and it works in most cases. You want Nearest-Neighbor interpolation, though some programs might call it no interpolation at all.